Please HELP need some new headphones !

Discussion in 'Headphone & Earphone General Discussion' started by Lukin4DecentHedfones, Sep 23, 2012.

1. Lukin4DecentHedfones

Lukin4DecentHedfones New Member

Hi I'm Ash

After a few years of searching I am just about to give up my search for the best sounding headphones. I have bought audio teknika, sonys, beats (poor sound quality), sennheisers and more(all around £100).
    So I have decided to up my budget to £200 and here are a few I am looking at:
    Beyerdynamic DT250 Headset - 80 OHM,
    Sennheiser HD25-1-II BE - Headphones ( ear-cup ),
    GermanMaestro GMP 8.35 D Closed Back Monitor Headphones,
    GermanMaestro GMP 400 Open Back Headphones,
    P5 Mobile Hi-Fi Concert for 1 Headphones - Black(my fav so far),
    Sennheiser HD 598 High-End Open Circumaural Headphones

These are the ones I'm looking at. I'm not botherd about looks I'm just looking for good quality sound. So it would be real helpful if anyone could give me some advice ? I am mainly using my iPhone 4/5 and laptop to listen to music.

Thankyou

2. RobinHiFi

RobinHiFi Super Moderator

Hi Ash,

You immediately get more sound for your money at £100+, it is nearly impossible to make a great sounding headphone for less. Are you thinking of using these as portables too or is it just for home use? What particularly impressed you about the P5? Does that mean you like a warm sound with punchy bass and want detail resolved well without any top end harshness?:)

3. Lukin4DecentHedfones

sound about right !!

Hi Robin

Yes thats exactly what i want but i would just use them for home use. I would prefer over ear and something i can use with an amp (fiio e17).Ive been on the net for a few days and i have a few different ones on my list now.

Grado SR325iS (which i found second hand like new?)
    Sennheiser HD 600
    Audio-Technica ATH M50
    GermanMaestro GMP 400

theres so many to choose from i cant choose, anymore?

thankyou

Ash

4. dalethorn

dalethorn Active Member

Grado 325 - good detail, slightly bright.
    Senn 600 - neutral but slightly soft overall.
    ATH M50 - better bass, but less highs.
    GMP 400 - Fairly neutral, accurate.

5. Lukin4DecentHedfones

Thanks

Cheers Dale

Im still finding it hard to choose i think i need somthing with the most natural sound.Ile keep looking, nothing yet jumps out at me but out of those 4 i dont think those sound are quite what i want.

Thanks

6. dalethorn

dalethorn Active Member

Is both open and closed acceptable, or just open, or just closed?

7. Lukin4DecentHedfones

What would you recommend ?

8. dalethorn

dalethorn Active Member

Some thoughts here:

Open headphones:
    I had the Grado PS500 - very excellent, and the only reason I don't have now is I ran out of room. Very small room, 100 headphones is too many. The PS500 is simply wonderful.

The Beyer T90 I want, but am over budget currently. I think it will be great.

Closed headphones:
    Beyer T5p looks really great, but again, over budget.

Shure 940 is excellent, but may be a little bright. That I have a fix for.

GMP 8.35D is very fine but same sound quality approximately as Senn 600.

SoundMagic HP100 is excellent, very clear, neutral. This may be the best closed headphone up to three times the price.

9. Lukin4DecentHedfones

Yes they sound good ive added them to my wish list and shall research a bit more. The shure 940 sounds like a good pair would i be able to use the fiio e17 amp with those ?

thanks

10. Lukin4DecentHedfones

Hey Dale

Just reading your review from feb 2012.

11. Lukin4DecentHedfones

They sound quite good they maybe the ones i need(Shure 940s
    )

12. dalethorn

dalethorn Active Member

They are excellent from bottom to top. Headfonia called them the Detail Monster. And the FiiO is a perfect match.

So here's the way I see it. Best case, you'll love them as is. Worst case if they sound too detailed or crispy, you might want to dampen it a little. The good news is the 940 comes with extra earpads so that can help smooth the sound. The FiiO also has adjustments. The bottom line is it's a thousand dollars of sound for a bargain price.

I played the E17 several hours yesterday. Great amp, but there's no other amp like it. It's small, and it has the ideal shape. I carry mine in a fabric case that was made for the original video ipod.

13. Lukin4DecentHedfones

just been looking at sound magic

wow the sound magic HP100 have got some good reviews ! Some even say they are better than the shure 940s. Its between them two and i may have to flip a coin !!!!!!

Cheers for the advice Dale i just need your help 1 more time what you think i should do ?

or these Ultrasone PRO750 ?

Last edited: Sep 24, 2012
  14. dalethorn

dalethorn Active Member

I never had Ultrasone. They are known for a particular type of sound that I'm just not conversant with. Actually if I were deciding between the Shure and the SoundMagic, it would be easy to choose. They sound very similar from the high highs down to the upper bass. Very similar, and very hi-fi. But then the HP100 has that strong deep bass and the Shure 940 does not.

15. Lukin4DecentHedfones

I think I'm gona sleep on it, but the hp100 sounds best from what I heard. Have you tried it through the e17 amp (hp100)?

Thanks

16. dalethorn

dalethorn Active Member

Yes. Got both right here in front of me. As I'm listening I'm reminded of a couple things. One is how the fit isn't critical at all. The earcups are big enough they don't touch the ears - they touch the head around the ears. And there is no critical fit to get the bass just right - it works correctly regardless, and that's probably because the really soft earpads conform to the head 100 percent. You'd be amazed how many headphones are really fussy about that, and some don't even get a good bass seal with a lot of people's heads.

Soundstage is unusually good with the HP100. I thought the Shure 940 soundstage was good for a closed headphone, but the HP100 does better. It's hard to appreciate until you compare to something like a Sennheiser Amperior, which sounds much more closed in - much narrower soundstage. SoundMagic must have learned from the Senn HD800 experience, how to get the bigger soundstage.

Last edited: Sep 24, 2012
  17. Lukin4DecentHedfones

Thanks

That's exactly what I want. Is there anything better for a bit more money ? I can push to £250 ($470) or do you think they are good enough for my price braket ?

Last edited: Sep 25, 2012
  18. dalethorn

dalethorn Active Member

That's good to hear, but unfortunately no. The most interesting things I see in that bracket I've owned, and none make the cut. The AKG K550 is the next closest in sound quality after the Shure 940, but the 550 is extremely fussy about fit to get a bass seal, and most people just give up. I had two of the Beyer DT1350, but they're worse than the K550 for fit - I gave up on both. The funny thing about this is assuming there must be a limitation to the HP100 because of the lower price. I haven't found that limitation.

19. Lukin4DecentHedfones

Ive made a decision !

I going for the HP100s then !!!! I will order them today and keep you posted thanks for all your help.

My search has not stoped there, my girlfriend wants to buy me some for Christmas and she said she will spend between £300 to £400 on me, so im already in search of some new ones.....

Thanks
    Ash