Portable Cans

Discussion in 'Ask The Experts' started by Trunkz, Jan 6, 2011.

1. Trunkz

Trunkz New Member

WB Robin & Co.

Hope everyone's had a good new year. To keep you updated, the SRH840s have seen 300hrs of burn in, and are performing great. I've kept them desktop bound, and have them hooked up to my D10 when I'm in my room. Portable-wise, its an ipod classic with a custom cryo LOD to the D10, then my TF10s. However, I truly miss the sound thats provided by cans, and I'm looking for a portable can, that I use when walking around, shopping, on the trains etc..

I dont really care for sound leakage, everyone should love abit of Frank Sinatra or Netsky in the morning. Budget is between £100 to £200. Dont let that be an absolute guide :) Impendence wont be an issue, due to the D10 either. (Although I doubt portables have anything more than 80 for an impendence)

As always, nice to see you guys back.
    Laith.

P.S - Providing my paycheck is adequate, I will be dropping round on monday morning; will phone up prior just to make sure you havent eloped with some girl you just met in Turkey ;)

Last edited: Jan 7, 2011
  2. Shaun-HiFi

Shaun-HiFi Administrator Staff Member

Portable headphones (cans)

Hey Laith... happy new year! We've had a REALLY busy first week back, so apologies for the slow response on the forum.

If you're looking for a great pair of portable cans that have a similar punchy bottom end (like the Shure SRH-840) then I would take a look at the Audio-Technica ATH-ES55. They're obviously not going to be quite up there with the Shures, but as portable cans go these are really very impressive.

If budget is not an issue then the Beyerdynamic T50p is about as good as it gets for truly portable cans. These use the same Tesla technology as the incredible Beyerdyanamic Tesla T1.

3. Trunkz

Trunkz New Member

Thanks for the reply Shaun. If its alright with you guys, I'll be popping down in the morning to see you guys and try out a few cans. I'll give you guys a call beforehand; incase the whole place gets turned upside down ;)