Portable headphone amp/dac

Discussion in 'Headphone Amplifiers' started by Tuz73, Sep 1, 2012.

1. Tuz73

Tuz73 New Member

Hi,

I currently listen to music via my HTC One X & B&W P3 headphones and wonderered if I would hear much benefit with a portable headphone amp/dac?

I do have several albums in flac/wav format but the majority of the music would be you tube/256kbps.

Cheers

2. dalethorn

dalethorn Active Member

There are different ways in which you could benefit from a headphone amp. Even the small, portable FiiO E17 amp will provide better dynamics than the tiny amp contained in a phone or average small music player. The other qualities are harder to relate to unless you're familiar with headphone amps. If you listen with a headphone amp at some length and then switch back to the music player without the separate amp, you generally experience the loss of ambience and detail, but how dramatic that is varies with the music and the music player.

3. Tuz73

Tuz73 New Member

thanks Dale - I've never owned a headphone amp and I have just started to listen to more music since I have got the P3's.

I probably wouldnt spend that much - I like the look of the FiiO E11 and that would fit my budget.

4. dalethorn

dalethorn Active Member

The E11 is a good choice. FiiO quality is very consistent.

5. dalethorn

dalethorn Active Member

This might work for someone who feels that they would like to be locked into one type of sound only, but most users like the freedom of changing styles and sounds whenever they are in the mood, and that's hard to do if you're pulling several different headphones out of your backpack. Better to stick with hi-fi items.

6. Tuz73

Tuz73 New Member

beats.....

My step son owns dr dre headphones so I had a listen with my HTC and I was disappointed - felt there was too much bass which muddied the sound and lost overall detail.

7. RobinHiFi

RobinHiFi Super Moderator

Hi Tuz73

This is just proof your ears work correctly!:)

8. quadpatch

quadpatch New Member

+1 Yeah I tried all the Beats headphones in an HMV, that was enough for me to hear that they are tremendously unbalanced. I sometimes wonder if the people who own them really like that bloated bass or they just haven't tried a proper sounding pair of headphones because they're not fashionable enough :p.