Portable headphone expertise needed!

Discussion in 'Portable Headphones & Earphones' started by Sushigirl85, May 25, 2009.

1. Sushigirl85

Sushigirl85 New Member

May 25, 2009
    Hi All,

Complete newbie here but am on a quest for the right headphones and wonder whether anyone can help?

Take the bus most mornings to work so need a pair that can fit easily into a handbag. This bus also goes past the local high school so noise reduction would be good!

Also need to have:

*neckband (cant stand in-ear headphones!)

*decent sound quality but not necessarily top of the range

*as little sound leakage as possible

*durability as I carry them everywhere with me

and finally not too expensive (anything over £100 is definitely out).

Does such a pair exist?! If anybody could recommend me some I'd be very grateful as have search what feels like the whole of the internet and still havent found what I want.

2. kwangsun

kwangsun New Member

Jan 26, 2009
    Try Bang & Olufsen A8

Bang and Olufsen A8

I've been digging around, and I don't know if these phones are really as good as some people say they are as I've never tried them. I've posted a question regarding these phones as well. But from what I could gather, these phones are described by normal users as being one of the best they've ever used. They're not around the neck design, but rather they hang on to your ears through hooks. They may not sound comfortable, but you'd be surprised. The people who bought them describe them as being very comfortable. They're also not IN-EAR. They are an open-type by design, but I've read that they isolate noise quite well and don't leak out much sound either. They come in a compact leather carrying pouch and are made of Ardoise Aluminium. So naturally they'd be very durable. Bang and Olufsen is a company with a following and very mixed public opinions, much like Bose. Also, If you find them online for a good price, you can get them for less than a hundred quid.
    Also, they're very pretty and luxurious. Look them up!:) (excuse my grammatical errors, couldn't be bothered to fix them.)
    Last edited: May 28, 2009
  3. Sushigirl85

Sushigirl85 New Member

May 25, 2009
    Thanks very much for the help - will check them out!
  4. Shaun-HiFi

Shaun-HiFi Administrator Staff Member

Aug 30, 2008
    Headphones for travelling on the bus

A decent pair of DJ headphones may suit your requirements quite well. DJ headphones are normally very durable (designed for everyday use), the ear cups fold flat for storage and are always closed back (to reduce sound leakage). I'm also guessing that as you will be travelling on the bus every day with them you need the headphones to be lightweight.

Below are some headphones that may be suitable:

AKG K518
    Sennheiser HD25-SP

The Sennheiser HD25s are particular good, as they are really lightweight and everything can be replaced on them (cables, headband, earpads and even speakers).
    Last edited by a moderator: Jun 11, 2009