Portable Headphones for classical music

Discussion in 'Ask The Experts' started by eliopd, Jan 4, 2014.

1. eliopd

eliopd New Member

Dear Members,

I am at a loss about the choice among some headphones models that I would like to use while commuting on a train (it is not very noisy) or at home with two portable devices:

- a classic IPod
    - an Astell&Kern player (which is capable of reading 24-bit FLAC or Wav files).

Even if I listen to several music genres (except disco and classic pop), my main target is classical music. In this respect I haven't been able to find many suggestions on what portable headphones can be more effective. In addition, I was thinking of buying an on-ear and an in-ear model.

Up to this moment, I focused my attention on the following models:

- Beyerdynamic T 51 p
    - Sennheiser MOMENTUM Closed Back

- Beyerdynamic DTX 101 iE (in-ear)
    - HiFiMan RE-400 (in-ear)
    - Final Audio Design Heaven IV

Perhaps, the models are not all comparable, but I am really concerned about the sound quality which, in case of classical music, is a critical aspect.

What do you think? Have you got any other models to suggest?

I thank you very much for your attention.

Elio

2. dalethorn

dalethorn Active Member

Both the T51p and Momentum are comparable, even though the T51p is strictly on ear and the Momentum partly on and partly around ear. Although the sound quality of the Momentum is better, especially for classical music, which I think needs the better quality and smoothness for the dynamics and accuracy of musical tone. Both have moderate isolation, which helps if the exterior noise isn't excessive.

I don't have those IEMs but I did have the F.A.D. FI-BA-SS and have also heard good about the Heaven IV, so I'd say no doubts about the Heaven IV. The other two are generally rated 4-star on most sites, so they wouldn't be bad either.

3. eliopd

eliopd New Member

Thank your for your replay.
    I think that Heaven IV could be my earphone choice, even if I've heard about a new Beyerdynamic in-ear model.

The Momentum can be fine, but I've read that they have fairly deep basses and perhaps they are Not 'strictly' portable considering their size. What do you think of Beyerdynamic DT 1350?

Anyway, thank you.

Elio

4. dalethorn

dalethorn Active Member

The Momentum is not a headphone for deep bass. It goes deep, but tapers off a lot by the time it gets to the deeper tones, below 40 hz.

The new 'refresh' DT1350 may be an excellent choice, but the older DT1350 with the stiff earpads you will probably want to avoid.

5. eliopd

eliopd New Member

I am sorry to brother you again. My English is fair but not so good...
    What do you mean with 'refresh' and 'old'? Are there two versions of DT-1350? Is the 'older' stiff?

Would it be possible, in case, for me (in Italy) to order the Heaven IV from your shop?

Thank you for your reply.

Elio

6. dalethorn

dalethorn Active Member

Since I live in the USA and I order from this site OK, probably yes.

The DT1350 has two versions, but the older version is being sold off at many sites at a discount, so beware of that. The earpads are stiff and do not seal well to the ears and the bass gets lost. The new "refresh" version fixes that problem. I have the same new earpads on my Beyerdynamic T51p, and they make a big difference.

7. eliopd

eliopd New Member

I am sorry, I didn't notice that you were writing from the US.

In conclusion, do you think that Momentum and DT-1350 could both be fitted for classical (and, for example, rock) music, as far as sound quality is concerned?
    I suppose that I should try them but I can't find a place nearby where they sell both models...

I thank you very much for your very kind support and I promise to change the topic should I post another thread here.

Elio

8. eliopd

eliopd New Member

a humble reply

Dear Dale,

I have just found your excellent review of DT-1350 (at least in their old version) at HiFiHeadphones.....

I am sorry for having bothered you this far, as you probably can imagine I am not an expert in this field.

Thank you again.

Elio

9. dalethorn

dalethorn Active Member

The Momentum, definitely. The DT1350 (Refresh version only) is presently unknown for me, in the sense that I don't know exactly what the new earpads will do for the sound. I'm optimistic actually, but can't be certain.