Portable(ish) Headphones for £100-£150?

Discussion in 'Ask The Experts' started by Charlie, Jul 13, 2011.

1. Charlie

Charlie New Member

I've been looking for a good pair of sturdy headphones to use with my HTC Desire HD and my laptop. The headphones I currently have are too quiet on my phone and they're slightly uncomfortable to wear for long periods of time, so I've decided to treat myself to an upgrade. :)

Mostly, I want to make sure these headphones will be loud enough. I have the Sony MDR-NC7 at the moment, but I really don't like how flimsy they look and feel. I'd like to have something with a little more weight to it, and I plan to wear these for long periods of time so comfort is also important. I think I'd like closed-back, but I'm not entirely sure. I don't want too much sound leaking out, given that they'll be used for travel etc, but I want to hear everything there is to hear. I don't know if that makes sense or not.

My music taste is pretty varied (rock, pop, singer songwriter, folk, hip hop, dance, techno), so I think something that's for most genres would be best, though I don't mind an extra hint of bass.

2. RobinHiFi

RobinHiFi Super Moderator

Hi Charlie

Here are the two models I would suggest -

Audio-Technica ATH-M50 Closed Monitor Headphones Coiled Cable
    £124.96

or

Shure SRH840 Professional Closed-Back Headphones (SRH 840)
    £149.95

They are both closed backs. It sounds to me - although I could be wrong - that you want to use these in as many circumstances as possible. Open back headphones are only really good for listening at home in a quiet room, with most open backs you can hear everything going on around you and you are a walking speaker where everybody near you can hear your music with crystal clarity.

Have a quick look at this thread involving Rancid Badger

and this thread involving jamesg094

These are both fantastic headphones which isolate well, are comfy, are very sturdy and have a very pleasing sound whilst being very easy to drive. The Shure are a little bit more armoured and have a replaceable cable but this accounts for the difference in price. Both feel exciting and have plenty of detail but also a strong and authoritative bottom end, the overall feel is just on the warm side of balanced:)

3. Charlie

Charlie New Member

Hi and thanks for your quick reply, Robin!

I was definitely looking at the Shures; do you know what they come with? I think the replaceable cable is a brilliant idea as sometimes I can be a bit careless with wired things (I'm a bit clumsy and occasionally pull on wires/etc) so that sounds like the way forward for me. I do indeed plan to be using these for multi-purpose (which includes watching bluray movies and such), but I think I'll be using them more for music listening and perhaps the occasional gaming spree. Would these be okay for that as well, or are they really only good for music?

I was also looking at Sennheisers, but I'm not exactly sure what to look for if I want it to be low-drive and clear sounding.

4. RobinHiFi

All of the great sounding Sennheisers (except the HD800) are warmer and smoother than the Shures. I always feel they seem lazy to me and a little flappy at the bottom. Closest model would probably be the HD380pro, which I like as a Travel Headphone. It is less detailed than the Shure and I would take the AT M50 over this model for detail too. Sennheiser don't have an exact Equivalent of this fold-able closed back HiFi headphone, their audiophile headphones are all open.

5. Charlie

Charlie New Member

Ah! Well, that makes more sense. I think I'll stick with the Shures, then. I can't wait for payday. ;)

Thanks again!

6. RobinHiFi

I hope you don't have to wait too long - builds the excitement though!:D