Power essential for deaf person

Discussion in 'Portable Headphones & Earphones' started by Chas_Underpay, Jun 5, 2011.

1. Chas_Underpay

Chas_Underpay New Member

I have a severe hearing disability and so power or loudness is paramount for me to enjoy my newly acquired Sony Walkman. Sony provided an earbud set which is just about adequate power-wise, but they are rather uncomfortable. I've bought a couple of cheapish pairs of in-ear phones which are perfect comfort-wise, but hopelessy insufficient on power. Sound clarity isn't as important to me as my hearing loss means I wouldn't appreciate it.

Can anyone recommend something they think would fit the bill for me please. Or at least give me some indication of what to look for on the specifications (dB??).

Many thanks.

Last edited: Jun 5, 2011
  2. RobinHiFi

RobinHiFi Super Moderator

Hi Chas

I would recommend looking at a headphone amp -

FiiO E5 Headphone Amplifier in Black
    £16.99

FiiO E7 Headphone Amplifier & USB Audio Decoder (DAC) in Black
    £64.99

Just Audio uHA-120 Headphone Amplifier Anodised Silver (uHA120)
    £199.86

It is your Sony player which lacks the power - headphones only give a resistance against the supplied power. Having tried the Sony players they are really underpowered and fail to drive some quite low impedance headphones.

Watch out though as high Sound Pressure levels can damage hearing over time :)

3. Chas_Underpay

Chas_Underpay New Member

Many thanks Robin for your response.

A headphone amp was in fact my first thought, but it didn't explain to me why the earbud phones supplied with the Walkman were so much louder than the in-ear phones.

Never mind though, the FiiO E5 looks as if it will answer my prayers, so I'll purchase one of these from your site.