probably been asked before, but gym question

Discussion in 'Ask The Experts' started by hellboydce, Dec 7, 2010.

1. hellboydce

hellboydce New Member

have used various in-ear headphones for the gym, the last pair being some sennheiser sports ones, can't remember the model but they were the ones which hook around your ear, but i am yet to find a pair that are any good, i sweat a lot while working out and every pair i have had so far after about 20 mins will just slip out and i end up spending the remaining part of my gym time trying to hold them in, the problem with buying headphones is i don't know how well they are going to hold up to a workout until i am having a workout and as there is no way to test them out, i am now reluctant to buy any new ones, so i am here for some advice, i am thinking of moving away from the in-ear style as they obviously don't suit my (sweaty gym) ears, and getting some that fully cover my ears, but won't get sweat soaked, fall off and will do a decent job of keeping the crappy gym music out, any ideas? looking at around £40 - £75. cheers

2. RobinHiFi

RobinHiFi Super Moderator

Have you tried headphones with an over the ear fit? This fit comes from musicians in ear monitors and is anchored onto the head across the top of the ears and tightened with a toggle at the back of the head,

Another option is clip on headphone or neckband headphones - Have a look in the Sports headphones section. Let me know what style appeals and I can pass on information about the fit and sound quality.

3. hellboydce

hellboydce New Member

thanks for the reply, something like these look ok, SENNHEISER PX200-II FOLDABLE HEADPHONES IN BLACK (PX 200-II) [HH00695] i'm just a bit concerned about them acting like a sponge and soaking up the sweat, i think i am looking more at over the ears headphones as i want to block out any external sound. cheers

4. hellboydce

hellboydce New Member

any opinion on these? Sennheiser PMX200 Neckband Closed Back Headphones

5. RobinHiFi

RobinHiFi Super Moderator

I would go for a small on ear and one with a vinyl/pleather pad to resist Gym Sweat! Over ear will cause you to overheat a little (or maybe a lot!:( ) and foam pads will soak up the sweat killing the 'phones pretty quickly.

Sennheiser PX200 Headphones Black (PX 200 Folding Headband)
    £49.95

or the new version

Sennheiser PX200-II Foldable Headphones in Black (PX 200-II)
    £59.95

These are nice and fold small for the gym bag

Nixon Apollo Closed-Back Retro Street Headphones in Black
    £69.95

This is what they use at Claridge's Hotel gym

Sennheiser PX30-II Open-Back Mini Stereo Headphones (PX 30-II)
    £16.95
    Cheap and easy to replace.

Koss SportaPro Headphones (Folding Headband)
    £20.95
    these work as a headband and transform into a neckband headphone too!

Have a look and let me know what you think:)