Pulling the trigger

Discussion in 'Ask The Experts' started by Mylittlepony, Jan 7, 2011.

1. Mylittlepony

Mylittlepony New Member

Hey,

I've been looking for new in-ear headphones lately and so far this site has very helpful. I am looking for in-ear headphones on somewhat of a budget, I don't want to spend more than necessary. So what am I looking for? That would be headphones aimed at the rock/indie genre, more specifically bands like Arcade Fire, The Strokes and Arctic Monkeys, I occasionally listen to some classical music but the focus should be on rock. The headphones will be used when I commute and while I'm working; working in a generally quite environment. I also like to hear some seperation of instruments.

So far I've narrowed it down to the following:

- Soundmagic PL30
    - Soundmagic PL50
    - Klipsch Image S4

You may notice the PL30 is quite a lot cheaper, so my question is whether the difference between them in quality is worth the money. Is the PL50 or the S4 the best choice? Or is the cheaper one a good option? Or do you have any other suggestions?

Hope someone can help, thanks for your time.

2. Trunkz

Trunkz New Member

The Phonak PFE 012 are a better choice than the Klipsch S4s, as the PFEs are brighter, and tend to excel in classical, acoustics and indie tracks where you're wanting to differentiate between the different instruments, whereas the S4s are all about big chunky sound; thus the PFEs seem the better choice based on your listening habbits :)

3. kelvinmunson

kelvinmunson New Member

Hi, going back to the original question; bearing in mind that there are some pretty good prices around for the PL30s, what difference in quality is the OP going to find by going to the significantly more expensive Phonaks ?

4. Trunkz

Trunkz New Member

I was simply indicating that the PFEs are a better rec'd than the S4s that he's looked at. I've listened to the PFEs, and I own a pair of PL30s myself, and can say there is a rather noticeable difference in the audio reproduction, particularly that the PFEs sound more refined :)

Dont take my word for it, if you simply had viewed the PFE page, you would see others in the same situation as the OP, with some even owning the PL30s and moving to the PFEs, with all unanimously admitting that the PFEs are a wonderful pair of in-ears.

Last edited: Jan 8, 2011
  5. Mylittlepony

Mylittlepony New Member

Okay, now I'm having an even harder time deciding which one to get. Although, those Phonak ones might be more expensive but if they are durable it's fine...

6. Trunkz

Trunkz New Member

Again, whilst I dont own a pair of PFEs, I've owned a pair of PL30s before they butchered by my younger sister. For the double their price, you cant get any better. You're only going to see improvement in the £80+ range. If you're budget was £50 or less, I'd go for the PL30s hands down. However if you could stretch another £30 out, I'd be getting the PFEs. They really do sound better than the PFEs, and with good reason :)

7. Shaun-HiFi

Shaun-HiFi Administrator Staff Member

Yep, have to agree with Trunkz you have to move up to the £80 range to improve on the PL30. The Klipsch Image S4 is not really an improvement over the PL30 - in fact I would say the Klipsch is not as well put together as the SoundMAGIC.

The SoundMAGIC PL50 has a very specific sound signature that will appeal if you like music with lots of vocals, classical, jazz, etc. Again, amazing value for money if you listen predominantly to that type of music.

8. Mylittlepony

Mylittlepony New Member

Alright, the Phonak it is. Thanks a lot for the help!