Purely out of interest..?

Discussion in 'Headphone & Earphone General Discussion' started by topcat888, Feb 2, 2013.

1. topcat888

topcat888 New Member

Hi all,

I'm using the ASUS Xonar Essence STX card with a pair of AKG K 550 headphones at present and am very pleased with the sound quality that I'm getting (FLAC files).

This is a purely out of interest question, what would the next step up the ladder be, where would you go from there..? Budget wise, it would have to be a sensible step up, unfortunately it's not a 'money no problem' situation..! :)

Don't get me wrong, I'm more than happy with the set-up I've got now, I'm just inquisitive what peoples thoughts are..? (I mostly listen to music through the computer)

Cheers

2. dalethorn

dalethorn Active Member

Not knowing exactly how that sound card sounds, everything else is guesswork. But if you could read reviews on small USB DAC-plus-headphone-amps like the Audioquest Dragonfly, and compare that to the sound card, that would make a good comparison. The Dragonfly isn't very expensive, but the next step up from there is very expensive.

3. topcat888

topcat888 New Member

Interesting, I had the AUNE X1 USB DAC / headphone amp before the ASUS Xonar Essence STX card and I definitely think the latter is an improvement...

When you say very expensive, what would that take you to..?

4. dalethorn

dalethorn Active Member

5. topcat888

topcat888 New Member

ok thanks, well at least that gives me something to aim for... ;-)

Cheers

6. dalethorn

dalethorn Active Member

I found another that seems like a great value - the Burson HA160DS, a slimmer and less pricy version of the 160D, with the same exact DAC and amp.

7. topcat888

topcat888 New Member

Interesting articular and customer feedback... Cheers..!

Last edited: Feb 3, 2013