Q-jays vs Ultimate Ears 700

Discussion in 'Headphone & Earphone General Discussion' started by EdGT, Nov 19, 2010.

1. EdGT

EdGT New Member

I was wondering whether anyone had either pair of these headphones to tell me which is better. I have heard that the ultimate ears 700 dont have great bass - is this true? I listen to all styles of music but i especially like metal with strong bass. The price of either isnt much of an issue and i like them because they are so small. Overall which is a better earphone and why?

Thank you, Ed ;)

2. Shaun-HiFi

Shaun-HiFi Administrator Staff Member

I'm afraid I haven't heard the Q-jays, but have spent some time with the UE 700.

I definitely wouldn't describe the UE 700 as bass light. Assuming you get a good seal in the ear the bass is actually quite pronounced, as is the upper trebles. Unfortunately this means the mids are a little lacking, e.g. female vocals, strings, acoustic instruments.

For chunky bass response I would think about the Beyerdynamic DTX100. This earphone has tons of smooth, powerful bass response with decent clarity.

3. EdGT

EdGT New Member

Thank you very much for your response it was really helpful. Have you tried the Beyerdynamic DTX100? If so, do you know what are the mids and highs like and would you recommend them over the ultimate ears 700? Thank you again :)

4. Shaun-HiFi

Yes, I've spent quite a bit of time with the Beyer DTX100. They are a dynamic driver earphone, so have a more powerful bass response than the UE 700, but do lack the sparkle at the top end. The DTX100 just jumped into my mind when you mentioned you like powerful bass response.

The DTX100 and UE700 are both excellent earphones. In my opinion both head towards the bassy end of the scale, with the DTX100 having the most powerful bass. Clarity is better in the upper trebles with the UE700, but mid-range is better represented by the DTX100.

If you want big powerful bass, excellent midrange and sparkly trebles then maybe a proper dual driver earphone like the Westone UM2 would be worth considering.

5. EdGT

EdGT New Member

Thank you i will consider Westone UM2s. Also, are the beyerdynamic DTX100 as comfortable as the UE 700s because they are bigger. For example if you wore them overnight would you have sore ears in the morning?

6. Shaun-HiFi

Ultimate Ears 700 v Jays Q-jays

Yep, the DTX-100s do have larger sound tubes, which makes them a little more bulky in the ear.

With most earphones the supplied silicone ear tips will get a little uncomfortable if in the ears for prolonged periods of time. The way to solve this is to try out Comply Foam ear tips. These ultra soft foam tips are comfortable wearing for hours and hours. I recently wore earphones with Comply tips (fitted to a pair of Phonak Audeo PFEs) on a 10 hour flight to/from China and there was no discomfort.