Q701 User looking for New Cans

Discussion in 'Ask The Experts' started by Nathan Mastrangelo, Jun 19, 2016.

1. Nathan Mastrangelo

Nathan Mastrangelo New Member

I have been using the AKG Q701's for the past two years and I have loved them for nearly every listening situation. I really enjoy their clear, reference sound signature and the way they fit on my head. However I did notice that they started making my ears ache as well as leaving me with a resonating ringing sound in my ears after more than 5 hours of straight listening. I got used to it but it wasn't that forgiving. Recently one of the ear cups quit out on me so I have been looking for a alternative. I think I would be looking for something with a very clear sound signature. I don't think I would be able to stray from open back designs. I have been told that headphones with a planar design would benefit me most but there are so many options. So any and all suggestions are welcome!

2. dalethorn

dalethorn Active Member

Planars are great for bass, not so great for treble resolution. If you're after the £3000 planar you can get close, but you would do better with the AKG K712, for example. Alternatives to the K712, or the Q701, would be the Sennheiser HD600 or 650.

3. Steve-HiFi

Steve-HiFi Super Moderator Staff Member

It might be time to take the volume down a notch or two if you're getting ringing in the ears, you don't want that to become permanent. You might also benefit from the HD650's more relaxed treble if you're listening at higher volumes, as higher audible frequencies cause more damage.

If you wanted to try planar headphones, the Fostex T20-RP is a good low-cost one.

dalethorn likes this.