Really struggling to decide...

Discussion in 'Ask The Experts' started by Shabba123, Nov 28, 2012.

1. Shabba123

Shabba123 New Member

Hello!

I have done some of my own research, it's not that I'm lazy, but I just keep going back and fourth and cannot for the life of me decide on a solid pair. I don't really need a 'studio-quality' although I assume many studio pairs are also used on a more casual basis.

Basically I'm after a mid-range (price) pair of headphones with the following of utmost importance:

Important:

- Little to no sound leakage (most important aspect, I travel on trains a lot)
    - On/Over-ear as I'll be getting some cheapish in-ear for gym work.
    - Looks stylish (enough)
    - Decent enough sound
    - Will only be used on commute/travel/personal capacity, occasionally at home - but not in any mix/DJ/music kit/media station situation or anything active like the gym/running.
    - Will be used on mostly iPod classic.
    - Budget of £50-£130
    - I mostly listen to Hip-Hop. All genres really but that's the most dominant one in my MP3 collection.

Not that bothered about: (will only be a bonus)

- Customisable.
    - The real sound details/science.
    - Comfort - tends to be quite subjective. I've tried many pairs on and all seemed ok to me.
    - Portable - don't care about folding up.
    - Durability - I tend to take good care of stuff.
    - Other expensive add ons like noise cancellation, controls, blue tooth etc - really don't care for.

What I'm cautious of doing is spending that extra £50 when I won't really be able to recognise and justify the increased value because of my limited use (mainly commuting, walking).

The closest I've come to so far in including most if not all of the above is the V-Moda Crossfade M-80s. But they're really at the top of my budget so was looking about to see if there's anything closer and more reasonable...I've also heard good things about Marley Exodus (dons tin hat) but I think I was just won over by the look.

So far I've been recommended the ATH-M50s and the Shure SRH840s but I'm still unsure if these meet the requirements listed above. They do look very "DJ" but still leakage is the most important factor.

Thanks a lot - really appreciate it.

Last edited: Nov 28, 2012
  2. dalethorn

dalethorn Active Member

Here's my vote. The price is slightly higher, but the quality is exceptional and they are virtually indestructable. Now when you see the photos, they look almost industrial, which also carries over to handling them. But it's when you put them on your head you really see the difference. They look good, really good when worn. They don't bulge out a lot, the finish is a non-glare matte which is excellent, and the fit is secure and comfortable. The frequency balance of the M80 is a bit light for public transport I think, but the 8.35D is much better with the right amount of low-end weight.

GermanMAESTRO GMP 8.35 D Monitor Closed Back Studio Headphones

3. quadpatch

quadpatch New Member

If Dale's recommendation is interesting then perhaps I can lend some feedback for this soon as I am getting the GMP 8.35D today and I already own the V-Moda M-80. I'll report back soon.

I must say Shabba - That's a really well written request :).

Last edited: Nov 29, 2012
  4. Shabba123

Shabba123 New Member

Cheers for that, both of you.

I'll wait for your verdict...

two further questions, sorry bit of a novice:

1) Are over-ear always better at keeping the sound IN than on-ear? Again my main problem is I like loud music and will often be in quiet areas. We've all seen that dude who blasts dubstep whilst the whole of the carriage look on in disgust - I don't want to be that guy. Again, not bothered about noise cancelling - just about others around me hearing me.

2) Still thinking of aesthetics/style - do you really have to compromise value/quality for them to look good? (i.e - the best looking ones are the celeb stuff, none of which come close to household names like sennheiser, audio-technica etc). I think the problem for me is many of them look like DJ headphones (I know they are...) as opposed to lifestyle headphones.

v-moda crossfade lp/lp 2s might be this compromise I'm looking for.

Last edited: Nov 29, 2012
  5. dalethorn

dalethorn Active Member

The best looking headphone I've seen (from my point of view) is the pearl-white v-moda M80. The second best may be either the white B&W P3 or Bose AE2, but both of those look bland compared to the M80. Going to a more subtle look but quite elegant is the B&W P5, black and steel finish. The P5 has a fairly neutral sound that holds up well against most competition, it's very slim-line and looks good on the head, and has very little leakage.

As far as which design is best re: leakage, the lowest leakage I get is with Apple Earpods, which when used with the Dirac player are exceptional in fidelity. Keeping them in the ears is quite another matter.

6. Shabba123

Shabba123 New Member

Cheers dude.

I've tried to youtube sound leak tests and there's a few but almost all are for flipping Dre's beats. It's ridiculous.

B & W are a bit out of my price range.

Think I'm going to go with either m80s (although would prefer over ear) or Bose AE2 (the tests online show it's pretty decent in the leak stakes). Also I'll keep to using in-ear for those long train journeys...sort of why I want to go over ear as on ear seems to be a mid of a midway point.

Anyone got any other suggestions, do say. I'll post a review here of them, which ever they are, when I finally decide. Got my new iPod today.

7. quadpatch

quadpatch New Member

I have had an hour or two with the GMP 8.35D today and it is a really nice headphone! Really great clarity and a good balanced sound. It does lack a little in the bass department unless you can amp the s*** out of it, which it sounds like you won't be able to, but that's only compared to things like the M-80, DT770, ATH-M50 (have you considered that Audio Technica). I'm really not taken by the looks of this GermanMAESTRO, but it's built like a tank! Actually construction wise it reminds me very much of the Beyerdynamics.

It probably helps that I just got the DT770 LE as well (Thanks Robin!). Now this DT770 is even better than the 8.35D, but (and it's a big but - giggles)... it's about twice the price of the 8.35D (£300)! I don't have a normal DT770 here to compare to right now, but can it really be worth all that extra?! Especially confusing is that Beyer don't specify that there are any sonic differences between the standard and LImited Edition at all, and the former is less than £130! Now I should have mentioned the DT770 as an option for you anyway. it isolates really well, super comfy (more so than the 8.35D, which is ok) and it's well balanced. Both the 8.35D and the DT770 are big black beasts that will look a bit odd on public transport, but they are both better than the M-80 IMO. Now if you'd rather have something small and fashionable then don't think twice - get the M-80, it's really good!