Recommendations please: Neckband Headphones

Discussion in 'Portable Headphones & Earphones' started by PatrickRSX, Jul 14, 2010.

1. PatrickRSX

PatrickRSX New Member

Hi All,

I'm new and hoping you can help me out. I have just broken my PMX100's and am researching replacements. It seems that the PMX100 is not part of the current Sennheiser line up, is that correct?

Anyway, I'm looking for a set of neckband style headphones that offer good value for money. My music styles are eclectic but lean more towards Breakbeats, Electronica and indie.

I really would like to stick with the neckband style headphones even though I realise this limits my choice. I often wear a brimmed hat and would still like to be able to listen to music. (earphones/pads are a no go either, never found a pair that stay in...)

When I search for neckband headphones I keep getting hits from Koss PortaPro, which look ideal and have very positive reviews, but they still look like headband phones in the picture, can anyone shed any light on that?

I can't spend a fortune, £30 or less if possible? If I need to supply any further information to help, let me know.

Thanks in advance...

Patrick

2. Shaun-HiFi

Shaun-HiFi Administrator Staff Member

Neckband headphone recommendations

The PMX100s are particularly good headphones (based on the also excellent PX100 - now replaced by the PX100-II), so anything else around that price point may feel like a bit of a step down.

The Koss PortaPro can be worn over head, or neckband style. The headband actually has two positions that it clips into. The headphones themselves sound really good (although not as accurate as the PMX100/PX100.

Another truly excellent headphone (although a little over budget) is the Grado iGrado. These headphones have the same driver as the much more expensive Grado SR60, making the iGrado a bit of a bargain.

3. PatrickRSX

PatrickRSX New Member

Thanks for the reply.

I do like the look of the iGrado's (they look more comfortable than the PMX's) but as you say they are over budget. Who knows, I might win the lottery this weekend... (note: must buy ticket)

The Koss might be worth a look then, if they can be worn as neckband AND headband, that makes them more versatile. They seem very reasonably priced for the amount of positive feedback they have received.

I'll let you know what I get.

Thanks,
    Patrick