Recommendations Please

Discussion in 'Portable Headphones & Earphones' started by kirbybm, Mar 22, 2012.

1. kirbybm

kirbybm New Member

Can anyone recommend so earphones that are:
    -Under £30
    -Comfortable to wear for prolonged periods of time
    -Block out a decent amount of background noise
    -Have a good sound quality
    -Last a long time
    Thank you for any answers.

2. dalethorn

dalethorn Active Member

Headphones

Good quality and durability and under £30 are not a promising formula.

3. dalethorn

dalethorn Active Member

Headphone

I tested the large and small beats at the Apple store. The large beats had a huge midrange emphasis around 250 hz that was NOT fixable by iPod EQ, so I rejected the large beats.

The small beats was bassy and unbalanced, and while bass reduction EQ helped it to some extent, I still did not find a satisfactory EQ setting to make the small beats anywhere near as good as the Bose. So I also rejected the small beats.

If a person wants a headphone they will actually listen to, which has a high fidelity sound, they should look elsewhere.

4. UndefinedMemory

UndefinedMemory New Member

A mate of mine recently asked online for recommendations for headphones. He heard the beats and was impressed but wanted something else. He's now been pointed by a number of people towards a bunch of different headphones! So hopefully he finds something he's happy with and can stay away from marketing hype.

5. dalethorn

dalethorn Active Member

Marketing

What makes this forum unusual is when Robin and Shaun et al are able to make a suggestion, they really get the appropriate items into their replies. I don't have the wide range of product experience to do that, so I'm hoping to pick up on some of that.

Headphones is a rapidly growing item these days, and so much of the reporting is about fringe things like "micro dynamics" or several other buzzword terms that you see on forums. I would like to see more accurate descriptions of the fundamentals of how these things sound. One good example - on a major forum recently someone who should know reported that the Bose OE2 had too much treble in some cases, whereas my Bose OE2 has a severely rolled off treble, and there is no case possible where I could say "too much treble".

So in the case of the OE2, either someone's reporting is misinforming, or the QC on this model is so bad that production units are all over the place in their sound. I'm betting on the former.

6. UndefinedMemory

UndefinedMemory New Member

I agree, but I also think there are issues of subjective preference, source equipment, recordings used and bitrate that are more likely to be factors than QC. My Sennheiser HD-580s, for example, are often described as being a bit harsh or sibilant in the treble, and overly weighty in the bass. I never experienced any of this until I acquired a headphone amp that is capable of properly driving them. I now know exactly what they mean about the treble and really want to find a different set of headphones; for music they're great but watching movies/playing games the freqencies that are accentuated by the headphones are also usually louder in the games so it completely unbalances the dynamics. I never would have known any of this had I not used these headphones with this new amp and specific source material.

I also think that it will be a subjective preference for 'how much' of certain frequencies, and that even this isn't as simple as measuring the response from the headphones. The headphones may have a rolled off treble, as you describe, but because of the other factors the reviewer felt that it was too prominent for his liking. Your reviews are VERY precise, which is excellent, and you also suggest ways to balance the eq where possible instead of simply mentioning it, which is also excellent! I think a lot of people aren't going to be that methodical.

7. dalethorn

dalethorn Active Member

Treble

On the one hand, there is no amp that would rescue the treble on the OE2 I have. It's just missing, period. I still have to wonder what that person heard. On the other hand, whereas several of my top headphones can vary from OK treble to slightly irritating depending on the amp, my Shure 1840 varies from OK in the worst case to marvelous in the better cases. Just a thought.