Repair - Sennheiser CX400 II

Discussion in 'Ask The Experts' started by Chastre, Dec 8, 2010.

1. Chastre

Chastre New Member

Hi guys!

I'm writing this post today due to what happened to my in ear... This is the result:

http://www.hifiheadphones.co.uk/forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=25&stc=1&d=1291803740

The cable got split in two pieces, result of being stuck in a gym bar, while walking :(

So what I would like to ask you is if there is any way to repair them since I'm on a tight budget and wouldn't like te spend much money on a new pair of headphones...

If there is nothing I can do about them, I would like to know what's your opinion on wich set should I buy that doesn't exceed 25£/30€/35$(something like that, with shipping included).
    I had been looking and I found some good reviews on the SoundMagic PL11. Is that the best I can get for that amount of money? From where should I order?

About my music tastes, I usually listen to rock, hard rock, r'n'b, hip hop, but also a lot of other styles, so I'll need a set that will provide a good quality in about every style of music(if possible!).

Regards!

Attached Files:

Last edited: Dec 8, 2010
  2. RobinHiFi

RobinHiFi Super Moderator

Although I think it is always worth having a go at fixing things if you have not felt like attempted this it may be best to leave it. The cabling on headphones is very conductive of heat as well as sound and really you need a decent bit of experience with soldering to do a good job and not end up with a bunch of melty plastic and wire.

PL11 are easily as nice sounding with a similar feel to the Sennheisers. They are obviously in your budget too - Make sure you get them from someone who is reputable as the have a years warranty and any proper dealer will be happy to swap them if they do go wrong.:)

3. Chastre

Chastre New Member

Thanks for your reply!

Well... I have soldered quite a bit, what I don't know is what I should do to the cabling so it will have the sound quality it had before, nor if it is even possible!

About the PL11, I found a trusted seller where I live for 17€, but I also found the PL30 on pixamania for about 22€. So should I go for the PL11 of the PL30?

4. RobinHiFi

RobinHiFi Super Moderator

I like the PL30 because of the over ear fit and better accessories in the box. PL11 is a bit more bass heavy though and if you don't like the over ear fit then these might suit.:)

5. Chastre

Chastre New Member

Well that's actually my main concern(besides the uglyness of the PL30), I don't know how I'll adapt to the over-the-ear fit! But the accessories and due to my music taste I decided to order the PL30. They should be available for me to pick them up soon on a store near me, so I'll know soon enough!

Thanks for the appreciation on the headphones!