Replacement for aging Sennheiser HD530II

Discussion in 'Full Size Headphones' started by Cryoman, May 10, 2012.

1. Cryoman

Cryoman New Member

Right, here's the situation. I have had, loved and played to death a pair of Sennheiser HD530II since forever. I listen to old school soul/r&b/jazz/jazz-funk, almost exclusively mp3s via computer (with a pretty good ASUS Xonar DX soundcard) because my missus does not share the same taste in music as me and I like it on the loud side.
    You know the feeling you get when you thought your 10 year old tv's picture was still the biz, then you see a new set and had that "OMG" moment?
    Well, I'm wondering if the years of use and abuse of my HD530's has gradually degraded their once-exceptional performance.
    Indeed, in fact, do headphones deteriorate over the years?
    If I wanted to replace them with a new pair of audiphile quality, closed back, medium impedance (no higher than the 530's which my sound card can drive well) cans, with good sound isolation (I need to hear the music, the wife does not, if you remember) what would I need to spend perhaps £150 ish so where to start?
    I've always gone with Senn since the days of the yellow foam, so I am comfortable/used to their characteristics, but things move on and there may be better alternatives now.
    I do tend to have quite long listening sessions (3-4 hours or more) so comfort is an issue.
    Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

2. dalethorn

dalethorn Active Member

Open Back Headphones

Here's a list of open back headphones, and somewhere near the top are the ones that are most similar to the HD530. I haven't heard any of the ones below about £160.

3. RobinHiFi

RobinHiFi Super Moderator

Over a very long period of listening headphones (like speakers) do begin to lose their original sound. As the drivers wear our bass becomes more sluggish and flappy and you lose fine detail eventually ending up with big mids.

Open backs are always going to leak a little noise but shouldn't bother "the boss" too much as long as you aren't sitting too near to her. You can always explain that you want to hear her too in case she needs you to help her with something!:) That should help.

Sennheiser HD558 Open Back Dynamic Headphones (HD 558)
    £139.96

and

Sennheiser HD598 Open Back Dynamic Headphones (HD 598)
    £184.96

are the obvious choices -

I would go for this -

Beyerdynamic DT990 PRO Open Headphones 250Ω (DT 990)
    £124.96

A little less warm but really exciting and just a bit fresher than the Sennheisers - hand made in Germany, 2 years warranty.

4. Cryoman

Cryoman New Member

Thanks RobinHiFi and Dalethorn for taking teh time to respond - I really do appreciate your views.
    However, I was really looking at closed headphones. I prefer the enclosed, almost intimate feel of the closed cans, and HID (her indoors) will winge if she can hear anything. (Can't distract from Corrie now can we....)
    Interesting views on the drive units becoming tired over the years, thats exactly what I was concerned about.
    The German Maestro 8.35D get really strong reviews. How would they stack up against my trusted HD530II's I wonder?
    Its so difficult to select based on words/descriptions - you really do need to listen to your own music through them.

5. RobinHiFi

6. Cryoman

Cryoman New Member

Ah - we are getting warm... So, is any one of these models particularly suited (or not suited) for mp3 files? I will be using them mostly on my computer but occasionally on my old (but still exceptional) Linn Intek amp.

7. dalethorn

dalethorn Active Member

All 4 would be very well suited for playing MP3 files.

8. RobinHiFi

Dale is right, there isn't really a benefit to any of these over the other. The M50 and the GMP 8.35D are more portable being the smaller two but then the SRH840 is pretty portable too.