replacement for E2Cs

Discussion in 'Ask The Experts' started by PapsinManila, Jun 20, 2011.

1. PapsinManila

PapsinManila New Member

I have been using E2Cs for about 5-7 years now, having had them replaced for free twice by Shure for a cable break. That kind of service tends to buy my loyalty to a brand ... that said, I am now looking for a decent replacement, if not slight upgrade.

- I like IEs with the over the ear cable. I don't think I can go back to a dangling cable. (takes Klipsch S4s off the list)
    - I love the snug fit and sound isolation by Shure. There are times I put in my E2Cs to sleep overnight on a plane even without the music on.
    - want to come in around $100
    - tend to listen to pop, alternative rock, some jazz

I have narrowed it down to Shure 115s or Audeo PFEs 012. I have cheaper IE phones for the gym. Any comments? Any others to consider? On Amazon right now, I can get 115s for $50 - pretty good deal in my mind. PFE 012 for $90.

Thanks.

2. RobinHiFi

RobinHiFi Super Moderator

Hi PapsinManila

It is hard to say which you would personally prefer but the Phonak is more detailed and better balanced and it has an ergonomically better fit (slightly), but then you can get the SE115 for a bargain price so very hard to say. Maybe give the Phonak a go as although you have loyalty to Shure, you have to try something new every now and again.:)

3. PapsinManila

PapsinManila New Member

Thanks, that's pretty much how I was leaning. Any significant difference between the Phonak PBE and PFEs? There's like a $50 difference. I read one review which said the audio quality was not different enough to justify spending the extra dough.

4. RobinHiFi

RobinHiFi Super Moderator

The two models are nearly identical when looking at just the body of the headphone, it is mainly the accessory content which differs. The PFE112 comes with all the Phonak accessories - Ear guides, Comply tips, S, M, L silicone tips, a carry bag and most importantly the Grey and Black Phonak filters (light and medium Bass filters) - whereas the PFE012 (PBE) only has the S, M, L silicone tips and the Green audio filter (heavier bass) which is not too bassy but contemporary sounding.