Replacement for Klipsch S4

Discussion in 'Ask The Experts' started by tim wilmot, Oct 5, 2012.

1. tim wilmot

tim wilmot New Member

Hi there

My beloved Klipsch S4s have finally given up the ghost (crackling cable around the jack) after three years of sterling service. I'd like another pair of IEMs to replace them. I don't want bass monsters, something nice and neutral. Budget £50-100, possibly a bit more. Two year lifespan minimum, three would be nice.

Phonak seem to get good reviews but they are a little more than I'd like to spend and I don't know how robust they are, long term. Any other suggestions or advice? I could always just get another pair of S4s but I thought I'd ask around first.

thanks

Tim

2. RobinHiFi

RobinHiFi Super Moderator

3. tim wilmot

tim wilmot New Member

Thanks Robin, that's really helpful. I was worried the PFE 012 would be overly bassy.

Is there much difference in build quality between the two? I have some Beyer 770s that are very well put together but I don't know what their IEMs are like.

Thanks again.

4. RobinHiFi

RobinHiFi Super Moderator

Both of these are really well made. The Beyers are obviously not nearly as tough as their big brothers (DT770) but that is to be expected. Standing or sitting on these will end in tears but with normal use these are both tough. The PFE 012 can go quiet if you get fluff or earwax onto the filter, you can clean the filters by leaving them in soapy water, rinsing then leaving them to dry or replace with new ones if they are too much of a mess. The PFE filter is the final EQ stage for these earphones but also stops foreign bodies getting into the earphone. There are another two filters available which give different EQ which is quite cool.

DTX 101ie for smooth deep warmth and PFE012 for cool accurate precision:)