Replacement Headphones

Discussion in 'Ask The Experts' started by x40, Oct 12, 2010.

1. x40

x40 New Member

Hi everyone,

My Shure E2C phones died recently after 4 years of excellent service and excellent sound. I am looking for a pair to replace them and am thinking about the Shure SE115 or the Ultimate Ears Superfi 5.

I also have a pair of Etymotic ER6i which I fear are also not going to be functional for much longer. I really like the top end sound of ER6i's but they coluld do with a wee bit more bass. The E2C's had the bass response but were a bit to subdues at the top end. Ideally what I would like is the bright Er6i top end coupled with the E2C lower end.

Do you reckon the SE115 or the UE Superfi 5's can fulfill my requirements or are there any others that I should be considereing.

Thanks
    Derek

2. RobinHiFi

RobinHiFi Super Moderator

I am sad to say that Ultimate Ears Super Fi 5 are being discontinued so we will not be seeing these again!

It is definitely worth thinking about these two headphones

Audeo PFE 012 Perfect Bass Earphones in Black (PFE-012)

Westone UM1 True-Fit Single-Driver Earphones (UM 1)

I think the Phonak Audeo PFE might fit the bill best but these are two of the best single Balanced Armature Driver earphones having guts at the bottom end and tons of detail at he top.

On the warmer side the Sennheiser IE6 still digs up plenty of detail whilst having its chunky bottom end under control.

Sennheiser IE6 In-Ear Noise Isolating Earphones (IE 6)

and of course as you have said the obvious replacement might be the SE115 which is really the current equivalent of the EC2.:)

Shure SE115 Sound Isolating Earphones in Black (SE 115)

3. Shaun-HiFi

Shaun-HiFi Administrator Staff Member

Replacement for Shure E2C

Robin, are we still able to get the Shure SE102? This is actually exactly the same earphone as the Shure E2C, but with different colour and some cable revisions.

X40: Even if the SE102 is still available, as Robin suggested the Phonak PFE 012 is definitely a big step up in the level of extra detail you hear.

4. x40

x40 New Member

Thank for the reponses. I am currently tempted by the Audeo's.

Regards
    Derek

5. RobinHiFi

RobinHiFi Super Moderator

The Phonaks have incredible detail and balance - really hard to beat at this price point!:D