Replacing jack on Sennheiser HD-555

Discussion in 'Ask The Experts' started by jakeyg14, Aug 21, 2010.

1. jakeyg14

jakeyg14 New Member

Hi guys,

I've googled it, but I could't find any specific answers or tutorials regarding this subject. I know replacing the jack on headphones is easy in theory, but I've read that if the wires are coated or if there's something else that is complicated then I'm pretty much screwed. I obviously can't check this without cutting the wire, which I don't want to do incase something is "different".

Does anyone have any specific experience or tips on replacing the jack on Sennheiser HD-555's? I've never done anything like this before, though I've used a soldering gun when working with simple electronic circuits.

Thanks in advance.

2. shokka9

shokka9 New Member

Well, i am no expert but there are 4 wires in your cable....

Google 'sennheiser rewire'

Black and blue wires are ground
    Red is right channel
    White is left channel

Simples.....

Its easy enough, if you google TRS connectors, you can see a diagram of the jack plug and where you need to solder the wires to.

Good luck

3. RobinHiFi

RobinHiFi Super Moderator

Hi Jakeyg14,

I have never cut into a HD555 cable (or many other headphone cables to be honest), I think Shokka9 has got it on this - Google is your best hope.

Have a look here and maybe sign up and post
    The Sennheiser HD555 & HD595 Official Discussion Thread - Overclock.net - Overclocking.net

If anyone has specific advice for you they will probably have posted in this thread. Try searching for HD555 Mods on Head-Fi.org - Headphone forums and reviews for audiophiles .

Hope your project turns out well, best of luck:)

4. RobinHiFi

RobinHiFi Super Moderator

Hi Jakeyg14,

I don't know why you are replacing the cable but if it is broken or compromised maybe replacing it will be easier. I'd imagine there are simple instructions and as you have already stated you have soldering skills you should be fine doing it this way.

Sennheiser HD555 Replacement Cable 300cm (510626)

5. jakeyg14

jakeyg14 New Member

Hi guys, thanks for the replies. I'm replacing the jack as I don't need the default length (over 2 metres) and, more importantly, I wish to swap the 6.35mm jack for a standard 3.5mm jack.

My plan is to cut the wire at the appropriate length, then re-terminate with a third party jack of the desired size. I'm just wary incase the wires are coated (in which case I'm screwed I think) or if there's something different from the norm.