Replacing Sennheiser HD-450II

Discussion in 'Headphone & Earphone General Discussion' started by justmusic, Nov 23, 2012.

1. justmusic

justmusic New Member

Hello all

My Sennheiser HD-450s are about 20 years old and starting to wear out a bit. Not really sure what's out there these days so any ideas for something similar around the £40 - £50 mark? They'll be used at home with a wide range of listening material, including classical, speech, television.

Cheers

Gary

2. dalethorn

dalethorn Active Member

I had the 414 and 424, then skipped Sennheisers all the way to the large 580 and 600 series. Looking at the 450, I have a pretty good idea about the sound, and my thought here is that what you'll get in the price range you're looking at will sound very different. Most of the headphones in that range will be closed, while the HD450 looks to be open.

Here's lists I pick from, so maybe you could make a suggestion or two what direction you're looking to go - open or closed, large or small, maybe even IEM?

Full Size Headphones with open or closed earcups

3. justmusic

justmusic New Member

Hi
    I'm looking for something pretty similar to the 450s - open back, largish, light, airy: basically a version of the 450s with 2012 not 1992 technology.

I do have some AKG K271 studio headphones which I keep for my recording work; just want something a bit lighter than those for more day-to-day TV listening etc.

I'm also happy to refurbish them with new pads and cable if spending out on new cans isn't going to yield worthwhile improvements.

4. RobinHiFi

RobinHiFi Super Moderator

I would go for a DT880 - still got the German feel and build, sound as you describe, one of my favourite fill size headphones!:)

5. justmusic

justmusic New Member

Very nice, but a bit over my £50 budget...

6. dalethorn

dalethorn Active Member

The more specific you are about the configuration and price the more difficult it will be, because the era we are in is not friendly to full size leaky headphones for portable use. For use strictly at home, the market is geared mostly still toward closed headphones, but some open models are available at higher prices.

But, if you're willing to accept the word of a hi-fi guru on sound quality, and also willing to accept an earpod-type configuration, the Apple Earpods running from an i-device with the Dirac player app will give you better sound quality than anything below £300, and Earpods are below your budget amount.

Most complaints about the Earpods stem from 2 issues: People using the free Earpods with the Dirac player, and people using them for portable use where they tend to come loose or fall out.

7. RobinHiFi

RobinHiFi Super Moderator