Reviews from my Blog (Noble HiFi) - Headphones, DACs & amps

Discussion in 'Headphone Reviews' started by quadpatch, Oct 6, 2012.

1. quadpatch

quadpatch New Member

Hello everyone :)

I am pretty new to this forum but I am looking forward to making this place my home. I have a bunch of reviews on my blog so thought I would post some links up in case anyone is interested:

HEADPHONES...
    ● Denon AH-D7000 - Noble Hi-Fi: Denon: AH-D7000 - review
    ● AKG Q701 - Noble Hi-Fi: AKG: Q701 - review
    ● V-Moda M-80 - Noble Hi-Fi: VModa: M-80 - review
    ● AKG K550 - Noble Hi-Fi: AKG: K550 - review
    ● Beyerdynamic DT880 Premium (600 Ohm) - Noble Hi-Fi: Beyerdynamic: DT880 Premium - 600ohm - review

DAC/AMPS (Combined USB)...
    ● Fiio E7 - Noble Hi-Fi: Fiio: E7 - review
    ● Fiio E17 - Noble Hi-Fi: Fiio: E17 - review
    ● iBasso D7 - Noble Hi-Fi: iBasso: D7 "Sidewinder" - review
    ● HRT Headstreamer - Noble Hi-Fi: HRT Headstreamer - review
    ● Audinst HUD-MX1 - Noble Hi-Fi: Audinst: HUD-MX1 - review
    ● Epiphany Acoustics EHP-O2D - Noble Hi-Fi: Epiphany Acoustics EHP-02D - review
    ● Yulong U100 - Noble Hi-Fi: Yulong: U100 - review
    ● Audinst HUD-Mini - Noble Hi-Fi: Audinst: HUD-Mini - review
    ● Arcam rPAC - Noble Hi-Fi: Arcam: rPAC - review

Apart from these I got a couple of amp reviews published on Headfonia...

● Shonyun SH-306 - Shonyun 306 Portable Amplifier | Headfonia
    ● Shonyun SH-301 - Shonyun 301 Pro Desktop Amplifier | Headfonia

I will probably post individual posts for my future ones so they are more easily seen but for now I thought I would add this little backlog for reference. I have a few more things coming soon like the SoundMAGIC HP100 (which Dale has already written an excellent review for), V-Moda M-100, Fostex T50rp + 'Mad Dog' (T50rp Modified by Mr. Speakers) and hopefully many more after that.

Have a great weekend,
    Edd

2. RobinHiFi

RobinHiFi Super Moderator

Big Thanks to quadpatch, dalethorn and marcusd for really enriching the reviews here on the forum. Great work guys!:D

3. Shaun-HiFi

Shaun-HiFi Administrator Staff Member

Reviews

Thanks Edd! Welcome to the forum.

I love the depth of your reviews - on a par with the likes of TrustedReviews.com. Also very nicely structured and easy to read. You're really helping others understand what they can expect from each product. Are you doing the photography yourself?

Yes, thanks also to dalethorn and marcusd for your in depth reviews. We're bringing together quite a community of knowledgeable, talented individuals.

FYI, we'll be doing some work on the site early next year to help develop the community further. We're still at the planning stage right now...

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 12, 2012
  4. quadpatch

quadpatch New Member

Thank you very much Robin and Shaun!! It's really great to be here and to be in such great company! I am a big fan of Dale's and Marcus' work!! As a new reviewer they are amazing inspiration to me and as a headphone enthusiast I can't think of a better place to be surrounded by such a bunch of kind and helpful souls. Thank you all for making me feel like family :)

Shaun: Thanks very much for your kind comments on my reviews! I've had a bit of a lull lately but I'm starting to write again tomorrow. The first of 4 new headphones will be on the table (SoundMAGIC HP100). I take my own photos, it's something that's changed a lot since I started and I am still finding my way, I have big plans for tomorrows photoshoot... stay tuned :).

I look forward to seeing what you are doing with the community development... can you give us a hint? :p

5. marcusd

marcusd Member

Oh wow more power to you Edd and continue the great work - will read some of these review eh? :)

6. dalethorn

dalethorn Active Member

Edd does some amazing paste-ups on those reviews, like Marcus at Headfonics. One of these days I need to get a turnkey program that does those, and doesn't require any effort. Just throw the text and images into a folder, press a button, and voila! Instant professional review. (But somehow I think it will take more than that)

7. quadpatch

quadpatch New Member

Thanks guys!!
    Dale: The text is very easy to make and edit via blogger. The pictures there is no simple trick for but I can put in a photo of my setup if you like. If you have a half decent camera I think the only thing you need is a tripod and the rest is practice, but I can throw in some hints if you'd like.

I will throw in some teasers tonight. I feel bad for not posting anything in a while.

Last edited: Oct 29, 2012
  8. dalethorn

dalethorn Active Member

I've been photographing with Leicas and Minoxes and Rolleis since the film days, and developing and printing with chemicals in that time period. Today it's so much easier and better with digital and software. But, easier only applies when you are replicating the old work. Today, people are taking advantage of the new software and techniques to make much better looking articles and reviews, but it comes at a cost of learning and doing the extra work.

I still use Paint Shop Pro v6 (ca. 1998) for my digital images. Saves me tons of time not having to deal with Photoshop or Lightroom.

9. quadpatch

quadpatch New Member

Leica man huh? I was a Hasselblad guy in the film days myself (well and Pentax), now Nikon. I still like film for some things but for stuff like this I wouldn't touch it with a barge poll. Well I guess you don't need any photography tips, how about software?

I used to use PSP (Paint Shop Pro) when I was in college and it was pretty much the same as PS (Photoshop), stuff was just in different places. These days I don't know where PSP is by comparison as I've used PS for work for many years. I prefer PS to LR (LightRoom) for my workflow. I hear a lof of people like LR for speed of worlflow but I find it's not true for me because I do too much editing that LR doesn't have. Both LR and PS are really good if you shoot in RAW format. Do/can you shoot RAW with your camera? What camera do you have? Perhaps I could suggest a good book to start you off.

10. dalethorn

dalethorn Active Member

I mostly carry a "photographer's compact" called Panasonic LX7. I gave my Leica X1 away a few months ago and don't miss it. The LX7 gets very close to the quality, despite the way smaller sensor. The f1.4 lens and 24-90 mm zoom are perfect. I don't use SLR's - too noisy.

I manage about 35,000 personal files outside of photography, so my workflow methods are peculiar to my applications - I don't have any issues there. There are some advanced tools I would like to have, but they're not available for PS - I've done that research a few times. I will say, after watching Alain Briot working with layers on Luminous Landscape (on the forum, in person!), if I were going to upgrade my technique I'd get behind his stuff.

11. marcusd

marcusd Member

I use a Nikon D7000 recently upgraded from a D90 with either a few primes like a 50mm, 35mm or the super sharp Tamron 90mm f3.5. I have an old D1X which I use for a bit of fun and a Fuji X100 for out and about for less hassle. The D7000 takes really nice pics and the D1X very rich colors. You should check out Mike at Headfonia's pics - he used to be a professional photographer turned audiophile - his studio setup is the stuff of pure envy.

12. dalethorn

dalethorn Active Member

Fuji X100 - that's a camera I'd like to have. A real purist device if there ever was one.

13. marcusd

marcusd Member

Its a great Cam Dale, very well put together and wonderful hybrid EVF/OVF. I also love the Fuji color scheme. If only the AF was faster it would be the perfect fixed 35mm camera for me.

Sorry for being OT guys on the photography hehe, my latest passion :)

14. quadpatch

quadpatch New Member

Hey it's really funny that we all love photography a lot too. I too am lusting after the the Fuji X100. I love the size, lens and viewfinder. It's now coming down to a price where I think I will have to get it! Back when I had a little more money (before I lived in London) I got a Nikon D3 and I have a very similar collection of lenses (35/2, 50/1.4, 85/1.4 & 105/2.8). I have heard amazing things about that Tamron lens!! I would love to own the original D1x, how cool is that! My first Nikon was the D2H and that got me hooked on Nikon completely although I have owned a few Canon's since too.

I will check out Mike's pics, I am trying to work with him on the Fostex HP-A8 review.

15. marcusd

marcusd Member

I noticed audiophiles love photography also for some strange reason - maybe because we want to pimp the gears or something hehe :) The D1X is like the jackhammer of shutter speeds at 1/16000 and 1/500 flash sync!