Revisited my Shure SCL2's

Discussion in 'Portable Headphones & Earphones' started by Leadsinger777, Jan 12, 2010.

1. Leadsinger777

Leadsinger777 New Member

Revisiting my SCL2's (The older clear model)

OK, so it’s an old set of IEM’s… and I got mine with my Shure live stage monitor system (PSM 200). When I got them I thought they were terrible. No matter what tips I put on them they weren’t very comfortable and I thought the sound was quiet and lousy. I quickly upgraded to SCL4’s which I’ve had to send back to Shure 2x now. The right monitor ‘blew out’ and kept crackling/popping. I got them back and about 2 weeks later the left one started acting up. Also the cord got a short in it somewhere.

Anyway, wasn’t here to complain about the E4/SCL4 (whatever they’re calling it these days). Because they went in again for repair last week I was forced to use my old SCL2's. Problem was I lost all the tips for them. The tips on the newer models like the E4 aren’t made to fit the E2, but with some work I was able to get the much more comfortable silicone mid-size tip onto the SCL2(Tweezers to stretch the tip open… had to use needle nose pliers to open the tweezers enough to fit the monitor into the sleeve… Damn this just sounds wrong).
    Anyway, after making sure the tips were on all the way to the base of the monitor I took it for a test drive and I can honestly say… to me, the old SCL2's sound better than my E4’s.
    Not sure how that’s even possible really. I guess it’s partially due to the seal. They fit sooo comfortably in my ears. Better than the E4's. The base that you slip the tip onto on the SCL2 is much wider. It's possible that has something to do with the better fit too. Anyway, they seal very well and sound great.

So if you’re up to trying something new you should give it a shot and revisit your SCL2’s. I’m definitely not disappointed. I can’t believe what I’m hearing not only live on stage, but also when listening to music. I’m experiencing what you’re supposed to experience with super high end buds. I’m hearing things in the music that I didn’t know were there. Also it's a little louder and clearer. Where there was no bass before now there's a warm tone and noticeable depth. They're not the bassiest by any means. Instead they sound the way you think the artist wanted it to be.

Anyway, I'd be interested in seeing if anyone is interested in trying this and what they think.

My first post here… I’ll get with the lingo soon enough.

Rick

2. Leadsinger777

Leadsinger777 New Member

OK... maybe I was wrong sorta.

Just got my SCL4's back from Shure... let them burn in over night and listened today. They kick ass over my SCL2's! Highs and Lows are the main difference. Just nice crisp highs I didn't know I was missing, and great bottom.

Still, the SCL2's are sounding sweet! I use them for my workouts now as sweat doesn't seem to bother them. The SCL4's I don't know... but I'm not going to take the chance.

Seriously still think it's work giving the SCL2's a listen with the other tips I mentioned. You'll be amazed at the difference in sound quality.

(Not sure if anyone's even reading or caring, but wanted to post a follow-up)

R

3. Shaun-HiFi

Shaun-HiFi Administrator Staff Member

Shure SCL2 v SCL4

That's great to read some impressions of these two Shure earphones. I haven't personally had chance to compare the two side by side.

I agree 100% with your comments on ear tips - it can make a huge difference. Lack of seal will always give poor bass response and swapping over tips can often give changes in sound signature.

4. Leadsinger777

Leadsinger777 New Member

Thanks Shaun. I was beginning to think no one visited this place anymore.

Cheers!