RHA CA200 - review

Discussion in 'Headphone Reviews' started by quadpatch, Feb 11, 2013.

1. quadpatch

quadpatch New Member

Here is my review of the 'RHA CA200', a headphone that costs just £30. I must confess I didn't know anything about the UK based, RHA before reviewing these, I wasn't expecting much, but I was really pleasantly surprised.

Noble Hi-Fi: RHA: CA200 - review

2. dalethorn

dalethorn Active Member

What worries me about this kind of item is the work that goes into all aspects of the review, and then whether the product will stay in the mfr's product line, whether it will have consistent sound and other qualities, etc. I've read so many of Innerfidelity's test charts showing major headphone models with different samples having very different test results (freq. response especially), and I wonder if someone buying a low-cost item can expect anything as good, let alone better (i.e. consistent). One thing I think I can count on with Sennheiser and Beyer is consistency in most of their lower cost items. That was not the case with last year's Beyer DTX300p, four sets of which broke on me (earcups fell off of headband when plastic stem dsintegrated). But the newer higher-priced DTX501p at $100 USD looks good enough for me to recommend, as I believe the quality will be consistent. I shudder to think how many DTX300p's ended up in the dumper after users bought them on my recommendation.

3. quadpatch

quadpatch New Member

A few of my work colleagues are interested in this one so I will see what they find. Amazon reviews for the CA200 are really great! There was only one guy who gave it 1 star and he was clearly out of his tiny mind! There were no 2 star reviews either and thirty three 5 star ones. I don't put a huge amount if stock into Amazon reviews but that's pretty decent!

On the flip side I've heard people complaining about driver matching in the Beyerdynamic T1, on a large scale too, although they might be crazy.

I know what you mean though, you do have to wonder about something so reasonably priced. That Beyer DTX300p sounds terrible! Aren't Beyers hand built though?

4. dalethorn

dalethorn Active Member

The DTX300p was OEM'd I think. Beyer's overhead in Germany is so high that you compare against a headphone made in China selling for the same price and you'll see some skimping on the Beyer item. But skimping or not, they do produce quality for the bigger items. When I do hear about QC issues I think of the Leica X1 (a 'real' in-house Leica) and hundreds of users complaining about the skin of the camera peeling off. A headphone that sells for £500 or more should be tested for driver matching in my opinion. They did a near-perfect job on the DT48 series, and that's not an easy task.