Robust and repairable headphones

Discussion in 'Ask The Experts' started by pmrlondon, Apr 19, 2012.

1. pmrlondon

pmrlondon New Member

My partner is heavily dependent on headphones as he can't hear sound from any electronic devices clearly without them. However, he also damages a lot of them, in various ways.

I am looking to get him some that are very robust (so that I am not repairing them too often) and also readily repairable (so that the time to scrap them comes less often). The sound quality is probably less important.

I ideally want to get two pairs, so that he has one to use even if the other needs repairing. I am keen to do this at a reasonable price, but appreciate that it may cost quite a bit.

Any advice or recommendations?

2. dalethorn

dalethorn Active Member

3. pmrlondon

pmrlondon New Member

Hmmm... interesting. Not sure about the coiled cable, though that's not necessarily an "out" - the most vulnerable part is probably the plug - a common problem and one I spend a lot of time fixing now - and, with the enamelled wire some have, that can be a pain. However, I will keep these in mind.

4. dalethorn

dalethorn Active Member

Another idea

The VModa M80 is very rugged, and the cables are detachable. Best of all, you don't need proprietary cables. Any double-ended miniplug to miniplug cord works - I have many of those that cost almost nothing.

5. RobinHiFi

RobinHiFi Super Moderator

People worry that they will not get on with coiled cables but they are a great way to have a cable that works at home and mobile. Most are only partly coiled so that the coiled length is about 1.5m, great for wandering about, and then stretch to 2.5m much better for sitting and still being able to move without yanking a laptop or CD player with you.

6. dalethorn

dalethorn Active Member

Coiled?

The interesting thing about the GMP 8.35D, and something I found very useful, is that the cable is partly straight and partly coiled. I generally don't like coiled, but the 8.35D cable I like a lot.

7. pmrlondon

pmrlondon New Member

It turns out he likes coiled cables. His latest cheapo purchase has one. I will be repairing some tomorrow, so he will be OK for a while.