Running Headphones

Discussion in 'Ask The Experts' started by PacMaan, Sep 21, 2011.

1. PacMaan

PacMaan New Member

Hi

I'm looking for a new pair of headphones for running, of which i do a lot. I currently use Shure SE115m+ earbuds with my ipod touch. I really love the sound quality of these headphones, however i'm on my fourth replacement pair in a year as they keep breaking with similar faults.

So I'm looking for an alternative with the same sound quality which won't break so easily, i'm not fussed about the mic controls which i dont tend to use anyway while running, i do like the foam cushions instead of the plastic though.

Thanks! :)

2. RobinHiFi

RobinHiFi Super Moderator

Hi PacMaan,

I am not surprised you go through so many headphones, chasing those ghosts and eating power pellets all day!;)

These are much more rugged but a little warmer sounding -
    Klipsch Image S5i Rugged In-Ear Isolating Earphones with Mic
    £109.96
    The Controller and mic are rugged too.

These are very comfortable and sturdy but pretty awesome sounding for this type of headphone.
    SoundMAGIC EH11 Clip-On Sports Headphones in Orange (EH 11)

£49.99
    Soundwise they beat the Sennheiser OMX 680 hands down.

3. PacMaan

PacMaan New Member

Thanks for that!

Do the klipsch ones loop over the ear or just hang down? And can i get foam cushions for them as the rubber ones always seem to slide out when i sweat?

4. RobinHiFi

5. Shaun-HiFi

Shaun-HiFi Administrator Staff Member

Another alternative running headphone is the excellent SoundMAGIC E30.

The E30s have over ear cabling and also come with ear guides to keep the cables in place while running.

Tip: Make sure to slide the sleeve up the cabling to the back of the neck to keep the cabling secure over the ear and around the side of the head.

6. PacMaan

PacMaan New Member

That's great guys thanks for your help i'll consider my options and hopefully order soon! (i'm notoriously indecisive!)

7. Jcubjosh

Jcubjosh New Member

Hi

wow weird, threads written for me lol.

I last posted along time ago and was recommended ^ shure SE115's wich i bought and they are epic, was very happy. quality/noise isolation spot on. Awesome for travel/general listening Many thanks for that brilliant reccomendation from the Hi-Fi team. Problem I have is at the gym/running I sweat and they tend to keep slipping out. Ive tryed all the foam sizes that came with the buds.
    Or pull down on my ears at times wich can become painful, with the cable being looped over.

So basicaly Im looking for the same sound quality and isolation, just with a more secure fit that isnt going to budge and allow full range of body movement. specific headphones for exercise, budget up to £120. Fit type doesnt matter to much, aslong as they will stay in.

Post here Paacman if you buy I will also be looking at the headphones + tips posted here - Comply tips might solve my problem. Would SE155 + comply tips work togethor? also does hifi sell clips for the wire - to shirt/tracksuit that would stop the tug on my ears at times.

Thanks everyone

Last edited: Oct 14, 2011
  8. RobinHiFi

Hi Jcubjosh

Comply tips are much softer than the Shure Olive type foam tip, this means although they don't isolate quite as well they mould to the inside of your ear much more closely and therefore tend to stay put better.

I am interested to know whether you use the toggle on the cable? Some do, some don't, but I do as otherwise I don't really get a stable fit at all. Clothing clips will really help too, some people use one at the collar and another to stabilise the cable lower down.

I would give this a go before you get a new earphone, the Shures do have a good fit and similar quality models from other manufacturers have a very similar fit (Westones design of the driver housing is very nearly identical). Feel free to keep up this conversation:D

9. Jcubjosh

Jcubjosh New Member

Hi Cheers :)

Yeah I use the toggle wich helps somewhat can never make my mind up where i want it too far up and your restricted too far down and the loop isnt secure

The buds normally stay secure until I overheat, gym :/ my tabs sweat and they come out and my left ear is a daft ear, akward slightly inbetween foam sizes so that one tends to rip out.

The cables quite wieghty, wich is brill and wont get damaged but it means gravity pulls down it more, so if i could find some clips i think that would fix my issue.

I did wonder though about the plastic type loop over-ear with SE115s being just cable, is that a more/less/same comfortable style of earphones?

btw I just have the old Shure SE155's without the mic, I dont know how much different they are compared with the SE155m+ model

Thanks

10. testaccount2

testaccount2 New Member

Full size or in ear eraphones for running?

Hi,

I do a lot of running, and have tried various in ear earphones, but can't find suitable ones as they tend to fall out of my ears. Has anyone tried running with full size earphones and are these likely to be any better?

Tom

11. RobinHiFi

Hi testaccount2

I have never spoken to anybody who runs in full size headphones, I would imagine this is because it is just not practical. The best headphones for running are the ones which are designed towards that purpose. I would get a headphone specifically for this purpose -

Here are some of the common models used by runners -

This first set do not seal in the ear and are therefore safer for road runners.

Koss PortaPro Headphones (Folding Headband)
    £26.95

Sennheiser OMX680 Clip-On Sport Headphones (OMX 680)
    £32.95

Grado iGrado Neckband Headphone in Black
    £44.96

Jaybird Freedom Bluetooth In-Ear Isolating Sports Earphones
    £99.00

SoundMAGIC EH10 Clip-On Headphones in Black (EH 10)
    £39.95

Sennheiser PMX680i Neckband Sport Headphones for iPhone
    £47.95

These seal in the ear and are therefore better for the Gym or ignoring your surroundings

SoundMAGIC E30 In-Ear Sound Isolating Earphones in Black (E 30)
    £40.00

Jaybird SB2 Bluetooth Headphones Midnight Black (JB-SB2)
    £99.00

SoundMAGIC EH11 Clip-On Sports Headphones in Green (EH 11)
    £49.99

SoundMAGIC PL30 In-Ear Sound Isolating Earphones in Black
    £29.99

Sennheiser PX200-II Foldable Headphones in Black (PX 200-II)
    £59.95

Have a look how each model has a solution for staying on your head. Hope that helps:)

12. Ahsanraza

Ahsanraza New Member

You need $30 only and can go with Alpha & Delta AD01