SCART adaptor

Discussion in 'Ask The Experts' started by andyjc, Jan 15, 2013.

1. andyjc

andyjc New Member

We have a plasma TV mounted in our foyer showing trailers of upcoming events.
    The boss wants to plug headphones into it so people can listen to the soundtracks without it booming out into the foyer, but the screen has no headphone socket!

Having done a little research, I see you can get a SCART to 3.5mm jack socket adapter, but will this cut the sound to the TV's built-in speakers?

The TV is an LG 50PZ550T-ZA if that helps. It also has USB, HDMI and every other connection known to man, but no 3.5 jack :-(

If it is possible to connect headphones and disable the built-in speakers, my next question will be - which headphones would you recommend for a public-use situation ie. tough but not too expensive.

Many thanks,

Andy

2. RobinHiFi

RobinHiFi Super Moderator

Hi Andy

Use a scart adapter and one of these -

FiiO E06 Fujiyama Portable Headphone Amplifier in Black (E-06)
    £20.99

or for better sound (if there is an optical port on the TV) one of these instead of the SCART adaptor -

FiiO D3 Coaxial/Optical to R/L Audio Converter (DAC) in Black
    £29.99

and the little Fiio amp. You need the amp in both cases as the optical and the SCART output have no independant volume (the volume control on the TV will not affect them either so you can Mute the TV.

These would be great as they are tough and nice sounding for the money -
    Fostex TH-5 Dynamic Closed Studio Headphones in Black (TH-5B)
    £38.95

To go cheaper get these -

Koss Stratus UR10 Headphones in Silver (UR 10 Stratus)
    £7.96 - soft pads

or these which are the same but with easier to sanitise hard pads.

Koss ED1TC Public Use Headphone in Silver
    £6.95

Hope that helps - ask more questions if you need to.

3. andyjc

andyjc New Member

Thanks RobinHiFi, excellent info!

Another question. If we leave the amp plugged into the USB port on the TV, will that keep the battery charged up? Don't want to keep having to recharge it every day.

Andyjc

4. RobinHiFi

RobinHiFi Super Moderator

Yes it should - this is how I rum audio to my stereo Hifi in the lounge from my TV so I am assuming your USB has power too. If someone is reading this and noticing that they could end up with two little protable devices then a USB Y cable or using a USB mains lead would solve the power problem.:)