Sennheiser HD 265 linear headphones

Discussion in 'Headphone & Earphone General Discussion' started by citizenpaul, Oct 20, 2012.

1. citizenpaul

citizenpaul New Member

Hi I'm new to this.
    Need to replace above which are 15 years old, cost then £150, no idea of tec. spec.
    Used for classical music at home, replacements must be similar ie closed back circumaural.No wireless or noise reduction needed but must be good at blocking ambient noise. Used with same age Arcam Alpha 9 amp.

These old ones have been pretty good but I suspect standards have improved over the last 15 years. Looks not important but comfort is. Budget between £200 and £350 if absolutely necessary.

Also would a seperate headphone amp really produce a great improvement over the Arcam amp.
    Thanks for any advice.

2. dalethorn

dalethorn Active Member

I can't think of a Sennheiser in your price range that's suitable, whether on this list or not. But the items I can think of that are comfy and isolate well, plus have good sound with good bass support like the 265, for classical music, are the Soundmagic HP100, the German Maestro 8.35D, and possibly the ATH M50, although that last one is marginal. Of these three the HP100 offers by far the best comfort. There may be other items more suitable here that I'm not familiar with. My preference is for a smooth, even response so that voices and instruments are reproduced in their proper perspectives.

Closed Back Headphones

3. quadpatch

quadpatch New Member

Yeah, like Dale says, there isn't much closed in Sennheiser's line up for you now. I am playing with the SoundMAGIC at the moment and if you are dubious about the name and lack of heritage don't be, it's a really stunning performer and I prefer it quite a lot over the Audio Technica M50, and most other headphones, especially for a closed back. The only other thing I can think of is maybe one of the closed Beyeedynamic's, the DT 770 is pretty good. The T70 could be interesting but is over budget.

I'm not sure about the Arcam's abilities as a headphone amp, but given your budget I wouldn't bother with a headphone amp until you could put a bit more money into it.

4. citizenpaul

citizenpaul New Member

Sennheiser HD265/ Replacement

Thanks to dalethorn and quadpatch for their very good advice. Tried the cans you suggested upto £200 and found all very good and comparable to my old Sennheisers but could not decide. Just out of interest tried the Beyerdynamic T70 's and was blown away, the improvement and superb comfort over the others was very satisfying and so it should be for twice the price and well over my intended budget. Not only that my wife loved them too so I was forced to buy them so we are both very happy.

Thanks also for John's excellent service and advice. John they work well with my old Arcam Alpha 9 power amp but their sensitivity picks up a buzz from the phono socket which is not heard on my old cans so will be thinking of a headphone amp before long.

Paul.

5. dalethorn

dalethorn Active Member

The thing about that buzz I would worry about is the amount of power going to the headphone. If it's too much there's a potential of damage to headphone or ears if a big spike comes through. Adding resistance somewhere might be good. The other thought is something to do with electrical grounding, which should also be fixable.

6. Lugoles

Lugoles New Member

Eureka!

I know it's been a few months but I just bumped into this thread whilst googling for replacement ear pads for my 265's.

One pair of HD265 headphones on eBay right now @ £50 in excellent condition:
    Sennheiser HD 265 Linear Headphone 615104041967 | eBay

Spare leads/cables, new @ £9.95 each:
    Sennheiser 81435 replacement cable for HD265 HD535 HD565 HD580 HD600 | eBay

I just bought the other pair (there were two) and the lead was intermittent (aren't they always) so I've just bought three spares.

I also have a pair of HD280 Pro's which are quite good and HD380's which are nice too - all closed back and circum-aural. The 280's and 380's are pretty good and have captive coiled cables which I think will be more reliable than the 265's but I suspected the 265's are better sonically. When my spare leads arrive I will be doing a bit of listening on all three to see which I prefer.

7. Lugoles

Lugoles New Member

Eureka!

I know it's been a few months but I just bumped into this thread whilst googling for replacement ear pads for my 265's.

One pair of HD265 headphones on eBay right now @ £50 in excellent condition:
    Sennheiser HD 265 Linear Headphone 615104041967 | eBay

Spare leads/cables, new @ £9.95 each:
    Sennheiser 81435 replacement cable for HD265 HD535 HD565 HD580 HD600 | eBay

I just bought the other pair (there were two) and the lead was intermittent (aren't they always) so I've just bought three spares.

I also have a pair of HD280 Pro's which are quite good and HD380's which are nice too - all closed back and circum-aural. The 280's and 380's are pretty good and have captive coiled cables which I think will be more reliable than the 265's but I suspected the 265's were better sonically. When my spare leads arrive I will be doing a bit of listening on all three to see which I prefer.