Sennheiser HD518 or Audio Technica ATH-M50X.Help me decide.

Discussion in 'Ask The Experts' started by ssuperfly, Mar 10, 2014.

1. ssuperfly

ssuperfly New Member

Hey guys.

I don't have much of experience with hifi headphones.I bought a pair of Sennheiser HD202's two years ago,and only recently they've stopped working.So im looking for a new pair,but this time i want something better,in the $200 range.Did my research,and im pretty sure it will be either one of those models.

If you can tell me what are the major differences between the models,in terms of sound quality,and which one is better for simple music enjoyment,that would be great.I listen to electronic music mostly,also some hip hop and RnB.Will be using them with my PC,so a good amplifier in the $150 price range would be a plus.Something like the FiiO E17+E09k would do the job i think?

2. dalethorn

dalethorn Active Member

The M50x is sonically identical to the M50 except has a detachable cable. The M50 is a pro headphone, and the worst I can say about it is it has more coloration than some of the higher priced monitors or pro headphones. But it's the best in its price range. The HD518 gets good reviews from non-critical listeners, and although I haven't heard it, the reviews indicate that it's no match sonically for the M50. Digging through Amazon reviews takes time, but I did it anyway for the 518, just to get some ideas. You might want to check further. I can vouch for the M50 though, especially if you want an authoritative bass that doesn't weaken at the deep end.

3. ssuperfly

ssuperfly New Member

I have checked reviews on amazon,cnet,head-fi,and so far im leaning towards the M50.It is more flexible,better looking imo,comes with three cables,but the hd518 is open,so maybe the soundstage will be a bit better here,and i have never listened to an open headphones.Im sure i will be satisfied no matter which one i choose,but maybe the M50 is what im looking for.Will try to check them both out in the local music store,if they have them.

4. john-hifi

john-hifi Super Moderator Staff Member

The M50 is a very versatile headphone and with it being closed back means that you get much better sound isolation - this is handy if you ever want to use them on the go or in public :)