Sennheiser Momentums

Discussion in 'Portable Headphones & Earphones' started by lukeyboy, Jan 3, 2013.

1. lukeyboy

lukeyboy New Member

Good Evening everyone ..

ive recently received some Focal Spirit One's. They were faulty so I have returned them and i didnt feel the sound quality was excellent - not for £200 anyway.

so, the hunt for new cans begins. I still love the Sennheiser 598's but theyre just not practical. however ive come across the momentums : Buy Sennheiser Momentum Full Size Headphones with Microphone, Brown online at JohnLewis.com

the reviews ive been reading seem very good, and they look very nice.

my music taste is very eclectic; heavy rock, DnB, classical - so bass is very important but i dont want to miss the high notes.

are these a good all round set of cans? i dont want to shell out £250 and hot be happy - its annoying that i cant try them anywhere ... :/

thanks!

2. dalethorn

dalethorn Active Member

The Momentum is the best all-around headphone I've had, which includes about 60 headphones in the last 2 years. The bass is near ideal - strong enough for good impact, never bloated or boomy or any of that. Mids are creamy smooth. No significant colorations. Highs are slightly softer than (for example) the HD800, but based on a wide range of opinion on the HD800, that's likely also a plus. The Momentum is super comfortable, and unique in at least one respect: When you handle it, it feels like a very tightly unified piece of gear, where most headphones feel loose and floppy. But it doesn't clamp hard or anything - very comfy.

Here's a great place to try and buy:
    Sennheiser MOMENTUM Closed Back Audiophile Headphones

If there's a specific music track that's all-important for critically good sound with this headphone (or any other), feel free to list it here and I'll give you my impression.

3. quadpatch

quadpatch New Member

I've had the Momentums for a few weeks now and absolutely love them. I haven't reviewed them yet, Dale has but his brief summary above is pretty close to my thoughts too. My genres of choice are: Soundtracks, Metal, Dubstep, Rock and then pretty much anything after that. I find the Momentums extremely versatile considering how plump the bass is. Its like a mini Denon D7000 but without the massive soundstage / separation.

Another headphone that I've really enjoyed lately is the Beyerdynamic DT770 LE (32 Ohm). That one is a bit more neutral sounding than the Momentum. It doesn't quite have the big bass of the Momentum but its still very much on the enjoyable side down there. As nice and soft as the Momentum ear cups are the Beyerdynamic ones actually go around the ear fully so is much more comfortable in the long run.

Between these two I find it difficult to choose a winner, it will greatly depend on the fluctuating price of the Beyerdynamic. If they were the same I would choose the Momentum because it's just more fun. If the Beyer was much less then it would be the choice.

Last edited: Jan 4, 2013
  4. lukeyboy

lukeyboy New Member

5. dalethorn

dalethorn Active Member

One user on Headfonia is reporting that his 770 SE (same as AE?) has a nasty HF peak around 8-9 khz, just like Innerfidelity shows in their test graph.

6. RobinHiFi

RobinHiFi Super Moderator

Why not give our sales guys a call and book yourself into the Hifiheadphones Demo room?

Last time I looked we had a couple of the Beyerdynamic DT770 LE (32 Ohm) in stock and we certainly do have the Sennheiser Momentum too.

7. quadpatch

quadpatch New Member

I was very surprised to see the graph for the DT770. Both the original 'Pro' and the new 'Limited Edition' model look similarly scary in the frequency graph. This reinforced to me how difficult it is to get meaningful conclusions from these graphs because in listening to the two headphones side by side it's the DT770 that comes out the more balanced of the two here. The Momentum is more smooth but the bass punch is more accentuated, almost too much when you compare it to the DT770. I must say that this is partly why I like it so much though. It does this warm, smooth bass while retaining a nice sparkly detailed midrange.

I still need to do more testing with the two, they are both similar and equally impressive but perhaps the DT770 LE is more forgiving of amplification, or the lack of, more to the point. The Momentum has required a bit more care but saying that it's simply amazing (and the best of the two) straight out of my Galaxy phone. The DT770 LE is tiny bit better on the iPhone, but doesn't change much on most of my DAC / amps.

Last edited: Jan 5, 2013
  8. lukeyboy

lukeyboy New Member

This would be my preference, however im quite far from you guys :/

Which out of the two would have the deeper heavier bass?

9. quadpatch

quadpatch New Member

Definitely the momentums, if that's what you're looking for then they are an easy choice :)

10. RobinHiFi

RobinHiFi Super Moderator

As it sounds like you are after listening pleasure and something which could be portable I would go for Momentums. They remind me of baby Edition 8's only 5 times less money, so comfy and a really great sound if you have eclectic tastes.

It's a shame you are a bit far away, we have had such good feedback about being able to test such a large range of headphones in one go. Whatever you end up going for you should definitely let everyone know the outcome as this is quite a relevant thread, I'm sure quite a few people have looked at these models recently.

11. quadpatch

quadpatch New Member

I definitely agree, apart from the Edition 8 comparison as I haven't heard them, although now I want to. I think that I already mentioned that the Momentums remind me of a mini Denon D7000. The reason I say that is for the nice bass, its not quite as heavy on the Momentum, but it also doesn't suffer from the reverberation issues.

12. dalethorn

dalethorn Active Member

Read Ken Rockwell's review of the Edition 8, then check out Innerfidelity's video review of the Edition 10(?) just for perspective. You'll be glad you did.

13. lukeyboy

lukeyboy New Member

Im waiting for the refund to cme through n the focals then ill order the sennheisers and pop a review up