sennheiser: no bass on left ear after replacing cable

Discussion in 'Cables, Power & Accessories' started by spacepilot, Aug 30, 2011.

1. spacepilot

spacepilot New Member

I used a cheap iron for soldering a new cable for my in-ear-sennheisers. The iron didn't get hot on the tip but a lot too hot at it's lower side. Result: When the solder suddenly melted, the whole "plate" did move!

In a 2nd attempt I just soldered the cable again and moved the plate back (a 1mm or so). However, I now have sennheiser in-ear-headphones with chrystal-clear sound and a new cable but no bass anymore on the left ear. It's really annoying and a reason to just pay 80 bucks again buying a new pair. Before doing so I'd like to try all possibilities of fixing them. Anybody has ideas how? I don't even know how the bass get's produced inside the headphone. Should I try to lift the plate? Could wrong amount of solder cause this? I'm glad for any help.

I attached a photo showing the problem.

Attached Files:

2. jillanne

jillanne Banned

It's trobule!

Are you sure that you correctlly replace the left cable? Be careful again !If this solution is still,i suggest that you can search more info or referrence from website,which sell this product,maybe the website online worker can help you professtional and on time,as i know a china wholesale supplier vkamobi.com is OKay! you can try !Good luck!

3. RobinHiFi

RobinHiFi Super Moderator

If you know somebody who is an electrician and has a multimeter maybe they could test the connections. You may have fused something underneath together, this sounds similar to what happens when a cable is crushed and contact is made inside the plastic coating of the cable. I'm sorry to hear about your trouble.

4. spacepilot

spacepilot New Member

I went to a chinese electronics-shop and asked for help. The guy took a big magnifying glass looked at my soldering-work and stated that not all wires of the cable are actually soldered. He took a pair of tweezers, played a bit around and finally broke the cable. I asked him to solder it again looking at the professional soldering iron which was lying around, plugged in on a board behind him. He finally did it - and while fixing the cable I told him that the plate was moved in my attempt before. He said this actually can't be the problem and that it was for sure a problem with the cable. After he finished, the soldered joint looked quiete well and after checking the sound, I thankfully left the shop. My bass-problem nevertheless persists and I'm as clueless as before.