Shure 535 or westone 3 or umx3 or senneiser ie8

Discussion in 'Ask The Experts' started by spacejunk, Jan 16, 2011.

1. spacejunk

spacejunk New Member

I recently posted about upgrading my Sony mdrex500s. I was recommended the shure 535 but also the westones 3 or umx3. I've since picked up a pair ofsennheiser ie 6 dirt cheap and they're ok. So being some one who wants a good bass response and good seperation, where should I go next? Shure 535, westone 3, westone umx3 or sennheiser ie8? I've experienced the sennheisers now but reviews speak of a bass that infringes upon the mids. I'd like a natural sound but don't want to miss out on a big bass. I know nothing of the westones at all. Which of these four would be best for me? And what is the differnce between the two westones listed? Thanks

2. spacejunk

spacejunk New Member

Um3x... Apologies for typo

3. RobinHiFi

RobinHiFi Super Moderator

Hi Spacejunk, Cool name!:D

This is an almost impossible question to answer as I don't think you would ever get consensus from a group of music lovers. I think each of us has slightly different hearing and tastes and that makes headphones as individual as sunglasses.

I think an easier way to give an answer would be if you described your tastes in music and how you feel about the tone or voice of audio equipment (warm and dark or bright and trebley?), what kind of sound do you feel is perfect?

I could then say how these headphones cope with your demands:)

4. spacejunk

spacejunk New Member

Robin... SPACEJUNK as in the Devo song of the same name!

I would say I favour a clear and heavy sound.

I listen to a mix of 80s/90s hip, jazz, funk, jazz-funk, early 80s alternative groups such as Minor Threat, Mission Of Burma, 90s alternative like Pavement and the Pixies. Electronic music, 60s, 70s rock etc etc....

Is that of any help?

Thanks

5. RobinHiFi

If confronted with a graphic EQ do you tend to dial in big bass and more top end every time? DEVO connection makes name even better.

Last edited: Jan 19, 2011
  6. spacejunk

spacejunk New Member

Well with the MDREX500 I do not feel I need to change the EQ settings as I find they have both a hefty bass and crystal treble. But that would be the sound I favour.

7. RobinHiFi

Sorry, that was a roundabout way of saying do you favour the Smile EQ or the Ruler flat EQ. UM3X give a flat but still musical and non clinical presentation, these are probably the least suited to your tastes. The other 3 have a similar feel but for me the Sennheisers are a little too relaxed and don't seem to have quite the separation of the 2 remaining triple drivers. Of the SE535 and Westone 3 I think you would probably have a hard time deciding as although they do not sound very similar they definitely would appeal to the same tastes.