Shure SE530PTH Triple Fi 10 VI or Grado GR8

Discussion in 'Portable Headphones & Earphones' started by nonns, Feb 12, 2010.

1. nonns

nonns New Member

Feb 12, 2010

I currently use a set fo Grado RS1's. I currently have a set of Shure E3c's as my in ear phonesfor portable listening. I want a substantial upgrade from these. I listen to a wide range of music (the only excluded genre is really dance music). I probably major on acoustic, rock and classical most.

I am stuck with my decision for the following reasons.

Triple fi's seem to be a difficult fit according to all reviews and they have a missing midrange some claim they can be tiring to listen to for long periods.
    Shure's wires are a bit suspect and there's new shure's due out. Some people claim they're not that engaging. At the moment these look like the safest buy though form a listenability point of view.
    Grado's there's simply no info. The one review was rubbished on head-fi.

Can you help?
  2. Nfes64

Nfes64 New Member

Apr 1, 2010
    Yes, but what is your budget?

If you want balance, the Westone 2's for £179 from iheadphones are very hard to beat, many reviewers over at headfi prefer them to the triple fi's. They are also very small and very comfortable, have a 2 year warranty, and excellent build quality (for that price, it's hard to go wrong with these). If you want a safe buy with a very general, neutral but tad warm SQ, at that price level, nothing will touch them.

If you really like your bass (and generally like much warmer sq) then go with the Sennheiser IE8s for the same price. However to me, for acoustic and rock, the IE8s can be too muddy.

Westone 3 and UM3X are stronger than the 2, but around £100 more.