Shure SE535 v Westone 4 - Which to choose?

Discussion in 'Ask The Experts' started by Fatality, Sep 19, 2011.

1. Fatality

Fatality New Member

Hey guys. I'm looking to treat myself near christmas to a new set of in ears. I currently own a set of UM2's but think there's something better out there. Looking for something within the £300-£400 range. I love bass so the more the better. I've been looking at the Westone 4's and the Shure SE535's but I don't know what the difference is or if they would be right for me. Any help would be nice. :)

2. RobinHiFi

RobinHiFi Super Moderator

Hi Fatality

If you are a bass monster then forget the Westone4, although great earphones they are balanced and not really bass rich. The Westone3 are very bass rich and are a better choice for the bass fan.

The SE535 whilst having an accurate feel do display quite a bit of bottom end power.

What you will find is that as you go up in price the majority of products will become about overall balance and accuracy. Hifi looks for detail, natural feel, a true sense of space and a true rendition of the original recording whilst trying not to become clinical. These goals do not fit well with highly elevated amounts of bass, remember in 90% of recordings there is relatively little going on at the bottom. Elevated bottom end causes problems for the mids where most of the important stuff is going on and it also pulls in the wings of the recording making the sound stage and stereo image smaller and less 3D.

I guess what I'm saying is the more you pay the less likely dominant bass is. One of my colleagues has the Ultrasone Edition 9 (full sized cans) and they are extremely bass heavy but with little detriment to the sound. I don't know of an in ear equivalent though.:confused:

3. Fatality

Fatality New Member

Thanks for the reply Robin. I was looking at the UM3x also, would these be better then the UM2 for bass?

4. RobinHiFi

RobinHiFi Super Moderator

They maintain the same kind of balance as the UM2 but feel much more refined, they have a very flat EQ. I love them to bits but they are not particularly bassy. They have a focus on detail and stereo positioning is excellent but bass heavy they are not.