Shure, Sennheiser or Audio-Technica?

Discussion in 'Ask The Experts' started by Coco, Sep 1, 2010.

1. Coco

Coco New Member

Hi,

I'm looking for a good quality pair on-ear, closed headphones. I've only ever bought in-ear headphones,like the "SENNHEISER CX300-II precision headphones" and frankly they're getting a bit tiresome.
    Above all I'd prefer sound quality over looks, and I listen to basically every type of music apart from R'n'B. Having looked at the "Shure SRH240", the "AUDIO-TECHNICA ATH-ANC7" and the "SENNHEISER HD428" headphones... I'm a bit lost on what's best...Or if they're even any good.

I'm prepared to put forward up to £100 towards a new set, but shipping will have to be a governing factor seeing as I live in rural france.

If you have any advice on what to buy, if there're better models/marks etc... please let me in on your wisdom!

Thanks in advance!

2. RobinHiFi

RobinHiFi Super Moderator

Hi Coco,

Full size / on ear cans for under £100 - This is a budget which includes some great headphones, here is a list of impressive stuff which I don't think you could be disappointed with.

Sennheiser HD-25sp - This has the most detail of the bunch, it is an on ear (supra aural) as opposed to around the ear (Circumaural like the other three) but don't let that put you off. These are comfy, sound great and are a genuine pro standard product used by DJ's and Sound Men the world over.

Dennon AH-D1001 - Deep warm bass is the defining feature of this headphone. Perhaps the least suited as you said you don't like R&B but they do have a relaxed and chunky sound if that suits your taste.

Ultrasone HFi450 - Very good at this price point, not as accurate as the Sennheisers. Relaxed but lacking in bass.

Shure SRH240 - Amazing for their price, digging up a decent amount of detail but again slightly lacking in bass. Really comfy, excellent pro design of headband and ear cups.

Hope this helps a bit, let me know if you need a bit more to finalise your decision.:)

Last edited: Sep 2, 2010
  3. Coco

Coco New Member

Thanks a bunch Robin!

I'd buy the Sennheiser headphones, but the headband looks really uncomfortable. I've recently unearthed a set of antique JVC HA-D600 headphones, which are enormously comfortable, but lacking in sound quality (and protection against ambient noise). Would you say that the Sennheisers give the same amount of comfort? I'd like to be able to put them around my neck without it cutting in, or chafing...

Thanks again!

4. RobinHiFi

I have had a pair of Sennheiser HD-25sp for 13 years and still going strong. They are very lightweight so I have always found them comfy, I also hang them round my neck and have not been irritated by the headband. Comfort is subjective I know but you can buy headband cushions and this headphone would be extremely easy to fit one to. Although plastic and quite basic looking the headband is nicely finished. Once you hear them you can tell Sennheiser put all their hard work into the amazing drivers which in my opinion lets them off the basic finish.

5. Coco

Coco New Member

13 years?! Blimey...Well that's done it for me, but I forgot to mention that'll I'll be using it with an Ipod...will the nominal impedance be a problem? 60 Ohms seems a fair bit...

But anyway, if there're no technical obstacles I'll be placing an order as soon as the almighty paycheck arrives!

Just one more little question, how long's the burning-in take? (just out of curiosity)

Thanks!

6. RobinHiFi

Sennheiser HD25 normally sound a little sharp and bright at first - 20 - 40 hrs in you should hear some real difference. Eventually they should come up relaxed and detailed, bottom end becomes really impressive. Although the impedance sounds high they actually drive quite easily, at the very worst a Fiio E1 will help and get you a better quality output and volume control.