Shure - SRH840s

Discussion in 'Ask The Experts' started by CharlieClown, Sep 28, 2011.

1. CharlieClown

CharlieClown New Member

Appreciate any advise with regards these headphones.

I'm after some closed-back headphones with a budget of circa £150 (although I could be persuaded to take that up to £200) and I've narrowed it down between the 840s and Audio-Technica M50's (no revelation there then :)).

I've gone through past threads here and on other forums and I can't see too much info on any difference in sound quality between them; the general consensus seems to be that there's little to choose between them in that regard. I generally prefer good separation of instruments with vocals upfront more than not - I listen to a variety of music but mainly classic/alternative/indie rock, americana aka alt country and, more recently, acoustic/folk. Listening will be mainly via an iPod (mp3) and FLAC format files through a Sonos system.

I plumped for the 840s based on being happy to pay the extra for the supposed added comfort / build quality but happy to take advice and guidance re: the M50s if there's a thought that they would 'fit' my choice of music/listening style better.

As I said, I would go up to £200 (although the difference could also go on a pair of E10s - somebody stop me :)) and did briefly consider the 940s but rejected them based on a couple of reviews that said they may reveal the limitations of my (compressed) iPod music than the 840s. Any thoughts on these in comparison to the other two?

Such a tough decision without the benefit of being able to try them out :confused:

2. dalethorn

dalethorn Active Member

840 -vs- M50

Both the Shure and the AT have that big peak around 9 khz, so be aware of that because you'll hear it, although the M50 looks less bright overall. The 940 would probably not be a good bet because it's brighter than both of those and would probably be irritating on tracks that aren't high quality. I have the 940 now and I have to keep the volume down a bit when playing a lot of my tracks, especially rock music.

3. Jon @ HiFi

Jon @ HiFi Super Moderator

I would agree with dalethorn on the 940's, especially if that gives you the option to go for a pair of SoundMAGIC E10's in addition :)

this is a very nice yet tricky question as I absolutely love both of these cans and it's really difficult find a reason to buy one over the other. Our preference, and this is really splitting hairs, is probably for the Shures. This is only really based on a marginal uplift in build quality, but that's not to put the AT's down as they are amazing. Of course one also pays a little more for this with the Shures, so it's a really tough one to call.

So basically I'll sit on the fence as much as possible, but look in the direction of the Shures :)

Cheers

Jon

4. CharlieClown

CharlieClown New Member

Thanks both. I'll likely put an order in today/tomorrow. I noticed hiifiheadphones have some upcoming Facebook promotions. Without giving too much of the game away Jon, would you recommend me waiting ;)

dalethorn -- Thanks for the detailed review of the 940s you posted. Very helpful esp. the comparison with the B&W P5s which I have tried (Apple stores stock them over here) and was quite impressed with. Didn't pick-up the muffled high-end which you and other reviewers have identified but I only had a few minutes with them. They retail for £100 more than the Shure 840s in the UK (£250 vs £150) so a considerable difference; if the 840s are close to the P5s in sound I'll be a happy chap.

Interestingly, the P5s got some great press when released but they rarely appear in highly recommended lists. I wonder if the initial hype was more down to B&W's first venture into this (sub-)market.

5. Jon @ HiFi

Jon @ HiFi Super Moderator

Hi CharlieClown, yes we're just starting with world Facebook domination - or bribery - whichever way you want to look at it :)

I don't think there's plans to run the M50's or SRH840's as a Facebook Promo in the near future, however in the Classic slimey salesman style (sorry for this!) the price of the SRH840 is already discounted by 30% on our site!!

Cheers

Jon

6. CharlieClown

CharlieClown New Member

Thanks Jon. Just wanted to check you weren't running a 95% off voucher on the Shure's next week; that would have been mightily annoying.

I'll phone through with my order later today/tomorrow. Thanks again.

7. dalethorn

dalethorn Active Member

Muffled sound?

Yeah, Charlie, the muffled thing is a matter of comparison, not an absolute. Some people say the Shure 940 is too bright and artificially detailed, so a more normal headphone might sound dull or muffled by comparison. And there's also the hearing factor too. My high frequency hearing is very sensitive, so when using the Shures I have to keep the volume down on some tracks, especially rock music that isn't really clean and free of distortion.

Edit: BTW, I think the P5 is a decent headphone (my wife loves them), but I also think price-wise they are not as good a deal for $300 USD as some other headphones.

Last edited: Sep 29, 2011