shutting out noise - even with no music

Discussion in 'Ask The Experts' started by iwilson884, Feb 28, 2012.

1. iwilson884

iwilson884 New Member

Feb 28, 2012
    I'm looking for some headphones that have medium to good sound quality but most importantly shut out virtually all external noise whether music is playing or not. What type of headphone should I be looking at? Noise cancelling? Sound isolating? I'm not sure what the difference is so any help is greatly appreciated. Price range I have in mind is up to £100. Thanks
  2. dalethorn

dalethorn Active Member

Jul 3, 2011
    Charleston South Carolina
    Sound isolating

For £100 you can get good isolation but only so-so sound quality, but not good noise canceling and good sound quality both. If you're really serious about shutting out virtually all external noise with decent sound quality, the Bose QC15 is close to that spec, but a lot more money. Basically, the more sound a non-canceling headphone blocks through physical means, the harder it is to get good sound quality and the more it costs. Electronic sound canceling helps a lot, but that also adds to the price, and even moreso when you need good sound quality.

So having offered not-so-good news, here is a list of noise canceling headphones sorted by price (just scroll down), so see what you think of these.
    Last edited: Feb 28, 2012
  3. RobinHiFi

RobinHiFi Super Moderator

Apr 28, 2010
    Hi iwilson884

Like Dale said this is not an easy task. Active noise cancelling does not work well on higher pitched sounds - It works best on low frequency continuous noise like engines or large machinery. Passive attenuation works well with higher pitched noises. There is no way to block all external noise without isolating your whole body, sound is vibration and therefore it transfers through your body very easily, the Human skull is excellent at capturing sound without the ear canals even being opened.

The best solution is a really nice Noise canceller but don't be surprised if you can still hear things around you as I said an sound deadened insulated room is the only weay to block all noise.

Blackbox M10 Active Noise Cancelling Headphones