Smallest headphones for recording sound for film

Discussion in 'Ask The Experts' started by juno, Sep 24, 2010.

1. juno

juno New Member

Sep 24, 2010
    Hi. I'm a filmmaker and I am extremely restricted for bag space to take full headphones whenever I go filming or recording sound. It's not that I don't take the need for them seriously, but I often have to combine filming with child caring, house shopping and other varied things so I need to keep equipment as compact as possible.

I own closed back headphones but I was wondering if I could get as good or similar result with in ear isolating headphones, or any other suitable type, which would take much less space. I am also a bit restricted for price so anything up to £50 (or more in the longer term) would be great. Please suggest if you can.

Thanks very much for the help.
  2. RobinHiFi

RobinHiFi Super Moderator

Apr 28, 2010
    Hi Juno,

In ears can be used in exactly the same way as full size for sound monitoring. Exactly the same rules apply - You are looking for a neutral clean sound that helps you analyse what you are listening to.

You could use any headphone to monitor audio if you are not adjusting it but if you do have control over the mix which is being recorded then you need to buy the correct monitoring device and then you need to get to know it!

If you use bass heavy headphones to monitor then you may think you are producing a nice chunky warm mix when actually anyone listening back on other equipment will hear a thin brittle mix with sloppy bass and lots of hiss and the opposite is true of bass light headphones (boomy overbearing mixes are easily created). The headphones you buy for this purpose must be honest rather than flattering, they should have plenty of detail and the bottom end can't to be too light nor too heavy.

So use any in ear to monitor live sound recording to check for signal but as soon as you have the ability to effect EQ or need to judge fine signal quality adjustments you need to consider a serious pair of in ears that tell you what you are really recording.

Here are a couple of suggestions for a serious monitoring in ear headphones on a budget - Neutral and balanced.

Westone UM1 True-Fit Single-Driver Earphones (UM 1)

Sennheiser IE6 In-Ear Noise Isolating Earphones (IE 6)

On a stricter budget but without the as much neutrality or balance.

SoundMAGIC PL30 In-Ear Sound Isolating Earphones in Black

3. juno

juno New Member

Sep 24, 2010
    Thank you so much for such a thorough and informative reply... I think I will wait a while and aim for the Sennheiser one, though it's a bit more expensive I should really try to aim for something which will help me to produce good sound.