So much choice... I need help

Discussion in 'Ask The Experts' started by Grunters, Oct 8, 2011.

1. Grunters

Grunters New Member

I am looking at buying some new headphones, well my first set of proper headphones. I currently own Klipsch S4's at the moment and I love them but I want to upgrade. I am looking between the £100 and £200. I want to use them for use in a small home studio where I record music and also for use with my iPod on the bus to uni etc. This has proved quite difficult to find a nice balance between my needs so i need some serious help.

The headphones I have been looking at are : Sure SRH840, Grado SR60i, AKG K 701 and possibly stretch to Denon AHD2000.

PLease help thank you :)

2. RobinHiFi

RobinHiFi Super Moderator

Hi Grunters

It is not easy to get a good balance like this as many studio headphones are a little unwieldy and most consumer types are not accurate enough to make recording or mix decisions.

This headphone fulfils all the criteria and it is also one of the toughest we sell. It has a really wide frequency response with an accurate studio feel and is also much smaller and lighter than a Beyer DT770 (standard issue at the BBC, radio stations and in the film industry. it performs better than a HD25, it is lower impedance than a K701 (which needs a serious amp to get it going). It is closed back so better for travelling than a SR60i (which leak a lot of noise and are really not that detailed and are less bass heavy and a bit less cluttered than the SRH840.

GermanMAESTRO GMP 8.35 D Monitor Closed Headphones
    £159.00

The Audio-Technica ATH-M50 are probably my second choice from a list of relevant headphones as they are pretty accurate, tough and reasonably portable, slightly smaller and slightly less bassy than the SRH840. The German Maestro are by far the best fit though:)

Audio-Technica ATH-M50 Closed Monitor Headphones Coiled Cable
    £134.95

Hope that helps, feel free to ask me more questions.

Last edited: Oct 10, 2011