So much choice... I need help

Discussion in 'Headphone & Earphone General Discussion' started by Grunters, Oct 8, 2011.

1. Grunters

Grunters New Member

I am looking at buying some new headphones, well my first set of proper headphones. I currently own Klipsch S4's at the moment and I love them but I want to upgrade. I am looking between the £100 and £200. I want to use them for use in a small home studio where I record music and also for use with my iPod on the bus to uni etc. This has proved quite difficult to find a nice balance between my needs so i need some serious help.

The headphones I have been looking at are : Sure SRH840, Grado SR60i, AKG K 701 and possibly stretch to Denon AHD2000.

PLease help thank you :)

2. Grunters

Grunters New Member

I have heard of them but didn't think they were a high quality headphone... I will give them a look though. Im hearing a lot of great reviews from the shures. Also do you think I would need a headphone amp like an fiio e6?

Cheers

3. dalethorn

dalethorn Active Member

Help

The problem with helping you is the same for us as it is for you. Hundreds of headphones to choose from. The only way to solve this is for you to narrow the choices down by providing more details about what you need. Size, type, sound - every factor you can think of.

The short list you have has different types in it (open, closed) which would provide different experiences from each other.

4. Grunters

Grunters New Member

Okay fair point... I have had a bit more of a look and a think about it. I really just want tone best sound quality as I will be using it in my recording studio. But I also want to use them on the go and listening to my iPod so I think I want closed back headphones.

I was looking at Shure SRH840 and the Denon AHD1100. Would these be good choices?

5. dalethorn

dalethorn Active Member

I think they would both be good choices. But the Shure is going to sound significantly brighter, so you might want to consider how either one matches the sound you need most. My general guide is for MP3's that have harshness and distortion (I have lots of those, especially in rock music), I'd go with the Denon, but for really clean recordings, which for me is mostly jazz and stuff, I'd prefer the Shure.