Some advice required..

Discussion in 'Ask The Experts' started by Trunkz, Sep 26, 2010.

1. Trunkz

Trunkz New Member

Morning,

I'm looking at getting a set of cans for use with my iPhone. This will be my first set of cans, as I've always used in-ear headphones. (First set were Goldring GX200s, then Shure SE110s till I lost those in Dubai) I've been recommended a set of cans as they give a more natural sound. Anyways;

1. Will be mainly for iPhone 4 use. (So low impendence?)
    2. I'm a university student, so will use it to walking from dorms to uni etc..
    3. It wont be for bassy use. (I dont listen to rap, dnb etc..) But you need to still hear that bottom end, otherwise the music will sound 'flat'.
    4. Price-range.. Around £50. (Depending on if my first student loans instalment arrives soon, I can bump it up to the £100-ish mark; so perhaps a second recommendation based on this revised budget as well?)

Hope I havent been too naive with what I'm asking, and what reality will produce lol.

Thanks,
    Laith.

2. RobinHiFi

RobinHiFi Super Moderator

Hi Laith,

There are not really any headphones that would suit your requirements at this £50 price point. You require an impressive pair of cans that will out do what you have already experienced with in ears which means you either need to compromise or up your budget - I know there are hard choices to be made as education is really expensive these days. There are some great headphones at under a £100 but if there was a comfy natural sounding Circumaural closed back that was easily recommended then everyone would probably own that model (manufacturers take note!).

To get full use out of this headphone I think you have to think about noise spill into your immediate environment. If you don't address this by picking a closed back you will find all kinds of situations where you want to listen to music but can't, meaning however much you spend you will not be getting value for money. This means that some really great open backs are not very suitable - I pretty sure from my student days I remember many situations where surrounded by people headphones really helped with concentration (library, train and bus journeys, noisy house mates) but please correct me if you dont think that sound leakage will be a problem.

Here are the front runners at around the original budget-

AiAiAi Tracks Closed-Back Retro Street Headphones in Black

£49.95 - Really sonically impressive and they look cool!

Also available with iPhone comatible mic below

AiAiAi Tracks Closed-Back Retro Headphones with Mic in Black

£59.95

Nixon Trooper Folding Closed-Back Headphones in Black

£49.95 - Same again, impressive fashion headphone

Shure SRH240 Professional Closed Back Headphones (SRH 240)

£59.95 -Impressive pro spec at this price, a little bass light but also as detailed and well made as it gets at this price point

eskuché 33 1/3B Closed-Back Headphones in Black (33 1-3b)

£59.95 - Good looks (retro) good sounds (contemporary)

eskuché Control CPU Retro Monitor Headphones in Black

£59.95 - Same here!

If you can find £100 (don't leave yourself eating beans on toast for the next term unless you're really into them) then here are some more 'phones.

Ultrasone HFI-450 Closed-Back Foldable Headphones (HFI 450)

£79.95 - Excellent balance at this price

Denon AH-D1001 Closed Back Stereo Headphones Black

£89.95 - More weight and detail to these though

Sennheiser HD380 PRO Closed Back Headphones (HD 380 PRO)

£99.95 - Great sounds and foldable with their own case!

If you really get lucky with your Student money and you do love beans on toast these are excellent.

Ultrasone HFI-580 Closed-Back Foldable Headphones (HFI 580)

£115.95

Plenty to look at!:)

3. Trunkz

Trunkz New Member

Music > Food :D

4. Trunkz

Trunkz New Member

Now I've had a look at the Ultrasone HFI-580s, and think that I'll be getting these. Just a cheeky question, but do you guys offer somesort of an student discount? (Im a 2nd year university student) Thought Id be cheeky and ask :D

5. RobinHiFi

RobinHiFi Super Moderator

I'm afraid not Laith but if you don't ask you will never know. When we do discounts we try to make them available to all our customers.:) Best of luck with Uni, hope you have a really successful second year!