Some advice..

Discussion in 'Portable Headphones & Earphones' started by JonW, Dec 24, 2011.

1. JonW

JonW New Member

Hi,

First post so please be gentle.

I am in the fortunate position of being able to purchase a nice set of earphones /iems. I currently have a set of UE super Fi pro 10 and have had these for about 3 years. And to be honest they've done me proud. Considering I listen to about 5 hours of music every weekday, not a bad cost to use ratio! ;)

I have read many reviews about the following:

JH16 pro
    Futuresonics mg6pro
    Westone es5

The core difference I can see is that the futuresonics don't use the Multi-driver /crossover hearing aid style like most others on the market and rely on a single proprietary driver.

But here's the thing, I'm also considering the shure se535's as well, but there is a vast difference in the cost and i want to understand whether the difference will be worth that extra.

The point is you need to try them out. As far as I am aware, the only place in the south east that you can listen to some but not all, is hand held audio in Enfield.the trouble there is that futuresonics, jh audio etc charge companies for supplying demo universal fit (so at least you can get some idea of comparison) iem's. Hand held have most of them but not the futuresonics!

So question is this:

- does anyone have any experience with futuresonics?
    - has anyone any experience with higher end universal fit vs customs? Does the extra justify the spend?
    - is this single proprietary driver technically better than the multi-driver technology?
    - are there any other co's in the south east, where you could drop in for a few hours and sit back and listen?

Thanks for taking the time to read.

J.

2. fusionramjet

fusionramjet New Member

future sonics mg6pro

Hi. I got the mg6pro two days ago. This is my first custom, so I can't compare to the multi-BA customs like the JH16pro.
    I do have universal IEMs (TripleFi 10, Westone 4, Monster Turbine Pro Copper, Scosche IEM836m, Brookstone Clear Dual Drive).
    Based on my listening to the mg6pro so far (it's not burned in yet), it's still clearly superior to any of my universals. It's more engaging, dynamic, and cohesive [top to bottom]. Additionally, the bass energy is unmatched by the universals I have.
    On head-fi.org, "Kunlun" posted an excellent review of the mg6pro. This was what ultimately made me decide to get one myself.
    I like the dynamic driver sound much better than the balanced armature. To me, the balanced armature is hyper-detailed (not necessarily bad, but not better than the detail of good dynamic drivers) and lifeless [except for the TripleFi 10, which sounds surprising for a balanced armature].