Some help please

Discussion in 'Ask The Experts' started by AverageJoe, Aug 7, 2012.

1. AverageJoe

AverageJoe New Member

Hi everybody
    I need help in choosing a pair of headphones to use with my Cowon J3 music player.
    I’ve got no experience or knowledge about headphones as I’ve always used ear buds which are rubbish as they brake very easily, so i need a bit of help.
    I’ve made a list of requirements that they would need to fulfil

Closed Back - No sound leakage, I want to listen to my music without being nagged at to turn the volume down by my family whilst they’re watching TV.

Comfortable for long periods of time

Great Build Quality (don’t want them falling to pieces anytime soon)

I’ve already looked at the list of closed back headphones, but I don’t know what headphones is “right” for me

My Budget is up to £800, and if they come with a case then it would be a bonus as most of the time I work away from home but it’s not a requirement

I listen to Heavy Metal/Metalcore music, examples: Machine Head, Megadeth, Iron Maiden, Fear Factory, As I Lay Dying etc
    It’s also worth mentioning that most of my music is in FLAC lossless but some of it is in 256kbps mp3.

I’ve made a list of those which I’m interested in, and if there are any other contenders then please suggest them to me.

Beyerdynamic DT770 PRO
    Audio-Technica ATH-M50
    AKG K 550
    Beyerdynamic T70p
    Beyerdynamic T5p

Thanks in Advance.
    Joe

2. dalethorn

dalethorn Active Member

All of these are good, but if I had really good high frequency hearing, strong to at least 10 khz, I wouldn't want to have any brightness peaks in my headphones with metal music. I've noticed also that most of the digital remasters of these bands have even more detail and sharp highs than the older digital or analog versions. So if I were choosing Beyers, based on the published curves I see, the T5p looks a lot better than the T70p, but to confirm that you would need to hear them or have a return privilege.

Since you already mentioned the T5p, you already picked the best item on this list in my opinion. Best quality build, best sound, etc. I can't be sure what the current storage case is, since those are subject to change. But if the standard case isn't ideal for carrying around, they make good fake-leather cases with foam cutouts inside that are excellent protection and lightweight.

Closed Back Headphones

3. RobinHiFi

RobinHiFi Super Moderator

I really love the Beyer T5p, I have a Beyer T1 myself which I am incredibly positive about. Some do prefer the Shure SRH1840 but as Dale has had access to both of these his T5p recommendation is rock solid:)

4. AverageJoe

AverageJoe New Member

Thank you very much for the replys
    Just need to wait til payday then I'll get them
    Cheers
    Joe

5. AverageJoe

AverageJoe New Member

Hi there
    Sorry to be a bother, but do you know when the t5p will be back in stock?
    Thanks

6. marcusd

marcusd Member

I would encourage you to also have a look at the Beyerdynamic DT150 before going to the T5p. You might save a lot of money and the DT150 is amazing for rock in terms of tonality especially if you stick on the velour DT100 pads.

7. hatecrew1992

hatecrew1992 New Member

I agree with Dale regarding the T70p. Their treble can be ear pircing with the sharp hights of your kind of music, the t5p should be the better choice though I never tried those. And regarding the DT150s, i also don´t know those, but if you can go all the way to the T5p, I would takes those

8. dalethorn

dalethorn Active Member

Good points all around. From my experience, if I had access to a headphone store where I could try the lower priced headphones, I might find something interesting there. Still, it's very hard to make a final evaluation of the lower price models which are prone to greater coloration, when you can't relax in a comfy chair for a few hours, in a quiet place, with your own music player and amp. Most people make their decision and order online, and if they don't like all the hassles of trying them out and shipping them back and waiting a long time for the credit, the best way to go might be to buy the best item first, as long as they make sure it fits their requirements.

9. AverageJoe

AverageJoe New Member

First of all i want to thank everyone who has responded, its greatly appreciated
    I want to buy the best headphones that i can with my budget so that i won't waste money buying mediocre headphones before i eventually give up and spend the cash on the really good headphones.
    ive looked at the DT150 and they are studio headphones which are used for recording music, so the purpose that they are created for dont fit my needs so im still going for the t5p
    thanks anyway for the recommendation though
    Thanks
    Joe

Last edited: Sep 5, 2012