Some questions...

Discussion in 'Headphone & Earphone General Discussion' started by Fatality, Nov 11, 2010.

1. Fatality

Fatality New Member

Hey. New to the forums, I've been looking through some posts and have seen some helpful advice so I have some questions myself

Firstly. I'm looking to buy a new set of headphones. I own some Sennheiser HD555's for home use and some Westone UM2's for when I'm out and about. I'm looking to replace my sennheisers with something a little bit better in around the £100-£250 price range. Open or Closed back are good. I listen to a variety of music but mostly Rock, Metal and Drum and Bass. I've been looking at some Beyerdynamic 770's but would like a second opinion.

Secondly I want to convert my music from MP3 to a lossless audio format. Is there any way of doing this or Do I have to import all my music again? (Some I bought from iTunes)

2. Shaun-HiFi

Shaun-HiFi Administrator Staff Member

Headphone questions

Hey fatality... welcome to the forum. Thanks for the YouTube mentions in your Comply Foam video :D

The Westone UM2's are very nice indeed. Lots of clarity, with a bit of a bias towards chunky bass response.

The Beyerdynamic DT770 would indeed be an obvious choice if you like the sound signature of the UM2. The DT770 will be a big step up from the HD555.

Regarding your MP3s, I'm afraid you won't be able to convert them to lossless as MP3 is a lossy format (i.e. information has been stripped out to reduce the file size). It's a one way process that cannot be reversed. I don't use iTunes, but I understand you do have a quality choice when you download. Maybe you can go back to iTunes and upgrade to lossless?