Some real cans for a bit of everything

Discussion in 'Full Size Headphones' started by Dice, Jun 2, 2012.

1. Dice

Dice New Member

Hello all,

I'm currently looking around for a pair of all purpose headphones, a pair of cans that will sounds good whilst listening to music, (jazz, rock, hip hop, classical and punk) movies and playing videogames.

I need some advice from peeps in the know!

At the moment I've a cheap pair of gamescom headphones that come with a mic attached for when I want to chat over 't interwebs but I'm after something a bit beefier and luxurious for everything else. Other than that I'm depending on laptop speakers, it's driving me mad.

Do you think the AKG K 272 HD is a bit overkill for this all round purpose? I've also been pointed toward the SennHeiser HD558 too, I only ask this because these headphones will be plugged into a small laptop rather than an actual proper system to make the best use of them. (Would an amplifier be needed?)

If you could recommend anything or give some advice for someone just starting out on their research then that would be a bonus!

(So If you had a budget of around 150 euros (or thereabouts) what would you pick?)

Thank you for any assistance!

edit:- Forgot to mention, I'm after build quality so if they're hefty and built like a tank then all the better!

Last edited: Jun 2, 2012
  2. Dice

Dice New Member

Ok, so a quick question then for someone with some experience... Would the Sennheiser 598 HD need something like a FiiO E7 Headphone Amplifier to make it worthwhile in conjunction with a device like an ipod?

Cheers.

3. dalethorn

dalethorn Active Member

The HD598 would play fine with iPods as long as the tracks you play have enough volume. Nearly all of my tracks have enough volume for loud play, but I have had to increase the volume for a few tracks. A FiiO amp could improve things, but if you get an amp be sure to use a FiiO LOD cable so you can connect from the dock end of the iPod.

4. Dice

Dice New Member

Thank you for the reply, looks like I'll be trying out a new pair of Sennheisers! :)