Something better than Beats...

Discussion in 'Full Size Headphones' started by shock, Jul 18, 2011.

1. shock

shock New Member

So I got Beats Studios a couple months ago, thinking they were the greatest thing ever. At first they were- they looked cool, everyone complimented them, they (or so i thought) had great sound quality, and I was really happy with them. Recently, I've been getting into more bass-heavy songs (hardstyle, specifically), and I've realized that Beats aren't really all that good, based on several other people's reviews, as well as from personal experience.

My question is: What are some good headphones that are approximately equal in price (around $300-$400), have full, clear, boomy bass (the beats in my opinion, even though the bass is loud, its not full sounding, its kind of sharp and edgy), and are at least a little good looking? Looks and sleek-ness aren't that important, but I don't want extremely heavy, boxy looking headphones.

Maybe an example song will help show what kind of music I like. Skip to 2:20 for the bass. ‪Brainkicker - Turn It Off‬‏ - YouTube

I know that song has great potential for amazing bass (you can't really tell on youtube, but on my ipod you can), but the beats aren't doing it for me.

2. Fatality

Fatality New Member

Beats do look nice, but they're overpriced because of Dre who endorses them and the design. I tried a friends out, but I knew I could do better. I purchased a set of Beyerdynamic DT770's 80 ohms and they're monsterous for bass. But you'll need at least a portable amp to drive them. Are you taking these headphones out or keeping them at home?

3. shock

shock New Member

Mostly at home, but I do use them outside a little bit. However, if I wouldn't be able to use them outside, that wouldn't be a problem. Would I be able to walk around with them or would it be uncomfortable with the amp? I guess I would prefer no amp, but if the headphones you recommend are exactly what I need, then I will get them.

I suppose I should add that I would REALLY like the headphones to vibrate with the bass. Otherwise I don't feel like I'm truly "feeling" and enjoying the bass, you know? Beats do vibrate a lot, but only when the volume is turned up past about 80% and I don't want to kill my ears.

Last edited: Jul 21, 2011
  4. Shaun-HiFi

Shaun-HiFi Administrator Staff Member

Better than Beats by Dr Dre Studio

I agree completely with Fatality. The Beyerdynamic DT770 is a great choice if you like bass. The bass is powerful, but well defined. They also have a stunning amount of insight, so you can hear the separation of instruments very well. In my opinion they blow the Beats out of the water!

5. shock

shock New Member

So if I go with these headphones, you say I need an amp, right? What amp do you recommend then? I know nothing about them.

6. Shaun-HiFi

Shaun-HiFi Administrator Staff Member

Headphone amp for Beyerdynamic DT770

If you are just looking for an amp (for your MP3 player) then the FiiO E11 is highly recommended. If you are looking for an amp and DAC (to use with your MP3 player and also to connect via USB to your computer) then the FiiO E7 would be the best choice.

7. shock

shock New Member

Thanks so much! :)

8. shock

shock New Member

i just got the headphones today and they are FANTASTIC!!!!!!!! I think i am actually more impressed with the amp. Even with beats the amp makes the bass crazy deep and powerful, but the new headphones make it crisp and less muddy. Thanks so much guys!