Sooo many amps! Where do I start?

Discussion in 'Headphone Amplifiers' started by Heedferns, Mar 20, 2015.

1. Heedferns

Heedferns New Member

Hi

I've been looking at amps to use with my Grado GS1000 headphones and I'm starting to find it all a bit confusing!
    I use portable devices - Android phone and iPad using Spotify. I also have a few FLAC files on my hard drive. So do I need a DAC amp?
    I'm also weighing up portable vs desktop too. Portable would give me the freedom to listen in different rooms/garden but wonder if they will be as good a sound as desktop?
    I have been looking at the Pathos Aurium amp but I'm not sure if I could use my portable devices through it.

Any advice would be very much appreciated

Many thanks

2. dalethorn

dalethorn Active Member

I bought the new Oppo HA-2 DAC/amp for Apple and Android devices, as well as desktop use. Theoretically you can get better computer sound for £1000 - £2000, but it will be very tricky because of the interaction of all the components.

3. Heedferns

Heedferns New Member

Thanks Dalethorn the Oppo looks a nice little amp and I have just read a good review on it. Not too expensive too at £259.
    What desktop amp would you recommend and also portable amps at just over £500 as my budget may stretch?

4. dalethorn

dalethorn Active Member

I'm not sure how much better you can get on portable DAC/amps with your phone. The expensive DAC/amps might do better with hi-res tracks, but unless your usage is mostly in a hotel room, not recommended. For desktops, USB mini-DACs like the Dragonfly v1.2 may be the best, unless you need more power. Below is a list of amps, some containing DACs, some Apple-specific, some of them DAC only or amp only. I recommend a combo DAC/amp that's USB and also has an optical or other hi-res input, since USB is usually limited to 96 khz.

http://www.hifiheadphones.co.uk/headphone-amps-dacs.html?dir=asc&order=price