Soundcard for headphone listening

Discussion in 'Computer Audio' started by henders, Nov 24, 2008.

1. henders

henders New Member

I'm looking for a soundcard (or DAC) for headphone listening. I'm tired of putting up with the poor quality headphone output on my laptop. The soundcard needs to be portable so I can listen while on the move. I've been looking at some of the headphone amps available in the USA, but really don't know what to go for. I've got a budget of about £200.

Any ideas, experience or recommendations?

Tomb likes this.
  2. Shaun-HiFi

Shaun-HiFi Administrator Staff Member

Headphone DAC from iBasso

If you are going to be listening with just headphones then a combined DAC and headphone amp is a good solution.

In the next couple of weeks we will be getting inital stock of iBasso D2 headphone amp & DAC and the rest of the iBasso range.

The iBasso D3 model in addition has a line out socket, enabling you to pass the signal onto an amplifier for speakers.

By all accounts the iBasso headphone amps sound very nice and we will be posting some opinions on the HiFi Headphones blog and here on the forum as soon as we get chance to have a proper listen.

We'll also be give the press in the UK (What HiFi, Stuff, CNET.co.uk and TrustedReviews among others) the opportunity to review the iBasso range, so you will be hearing more about iBasso in the coming months.

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 19, 2009
  3. oddball74

oddball74 New Member

Hi, i was looking at getting the new Asus Essence sound card as im running an old audigy at the mo, i heard some good things about it on headfi.

My question is, i have Beyerdynamics DT770 pro (80 ohm) headphones and i do play games on the pc but nothing major, and i like the look of the Ibasso D2 boa usb/dac,could aslo hook to my ipod, so is that the better option for mainly music/movies mild gaming on a pc?

THX.

4. Shaun-HiFi

Shaun-HiFi Administrator Staff Member

Soundcard for headphones

Yes, the iBasso would be a good solution for a music, movies or gaming with headphones on a PC.

An external headphone amp/DAC like the iBasso D2 is effectively a high quality USB soundcard, with the added benefit that you can use it to amp your iPod or MP3 player.

5. elenalee

elenalee New Member

Tomb likes this.
  6. TheNameIsJambo

TheNameIsJambo New Member

I use the ASUS Xonar DX and it's incredible. The sound is powerful and clean.

You can tweak the EQ on the card itself to get the right sound. I love it.

I need the soundcard for gaming, more than anything though. The surround sound effects in games using the "GX" mode are amazing and are a prerequisite when it comes to FPS games.

7. smith.martin

smith.martin New Member

Dear friends,

The iBasso D2 would be a good solution for a high quality music with headphones on a PC/Laptop. It's a good solutions.

Thanks

--------------------------------
    Online Support
    Remote Support

8. RobinHiFi

RobinHiFi Super Moderator