SoundMAGIC HP200 - review

Discussion in 'Headphone Reviews' started by quadpatch, May 18, 2013.

1. quadpatch

quadpatch New Member

I have been working on this review for a little while now, but at least my delay has given them time to actually be available in the UK now. I really loved the closed-back HP100 and now I have written up my feelings on it's new open-back cousin - the HP200. Clicky:

Noble Hi-Fi: SoundMAGIC: HP200 - review

2. dalethorn

dalethorn Active Member

Oddly enough, the HP200 has the potential (in my view of things) to take a big chunk of the headphone market, if only enough people would become aware of it. The two headphones in my daily rotation for a long time now (and this after owning 50 others) are the ATH ESW11 and the Soundmagic HP200. But the ESW11 costs three times as much and has a fairly colored midrange, so I suppose it makes my cutoff due to some sonic properties of its wooden earcups.

The HP200 doesn't have quite the portability most users would require of a portable, particularly in being open-back, but that aside, the near perfection of the sound is unique to my experience. I like warm, but not too warm, not especially bassy. The HP200 is just right. I like mids that are clear, not forward or distant, ditto that. I like highs that are well balanced, with just the right presence, sparkle, upper harmonic detail, and natural sibilants that aren't exaggerated. The HP200 scores high there.

Playing a track I just downloaded today, Lily Was Here by renowned sax guru Candy Dulfer, the very sharp and detailed strings sound just as natural as if I were sitting in on the original recording. Likewise the saxophone. This is a great headphone.

3. henders

henders New Member

SoundMAGIC HP200 v Sennheiser HD650 v AKG K701

I'm looking for a really nice open back headphone for home listening (mostly music, but some movies) and stumbled across this review of the HP200 on the Noble Hi-Fi blog.

Thanks quadpatch for the detailed comparisons with other headphones in the same league. Before reading this review I was considering the Sennheiser HD650 or the AKG K701, but it appears the SoundMAGIC HP200 is a better all-rounder and for quite a lot less money!

It appears the HP200 is a bit of a hidden gem. Why aren't more people talking about this headphone?

4. dalethorn

dalethorn Active Member

I sure don't know - I've raved about it myself.

5. RobinHiFi

RobinHiFi Super Moderator

6. quadpatch

quadpatch New Member

Oh cool, you guys are doing your own reviews too. That's brill :). SoundMAGIC sure do need more exposure, do they have a marketing budget at all, do you know?